Thursday, 15 January 2015

It's my life. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Anaru White 

As a child of the 80s, I grew up in the epic rock era - the time of big hair and hairspray, tight lycra pants and ripped t-shirts, heavy eye makeup and shoulder pads.  Bon Jovi were quite influential in the late 80s and by the time I started high school, they were well established as a leading rock band with the distinctive vocals of Jon Bon Jovi.  Today's post focuses on the track It's my life.



This ain't a song for the broken hearted
No silent prayer for the faith departed
And I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice when I shout it out loud

It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just wanna live while I'm alive

You could be forgiven for thinking that the opening introduction reminds you of a Backstreet Boys type of introduction (because I thought that too), particularly with the first two beats.  This accented pattern is peppered throughout the verses.  The chorus does what a good rock song does - it allows the listener to escape by singing at the top of their lungs, giving it an anthemic feel.

It's a very telling thing, to just be able to live how you want.
I'm spending more time these days listening to others around me.  In my early university days, I was quite green but I had a natural ability to listen to people's problems and offer solutions.  I kind of felt like I was Madame Trashy from Fraggle Rock when Gobo and his pals would visit Trashy to get some advice about a problem.  I can still hear the catchcry "The Trashy has spoken".

(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said "I did it my way"
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life

This is for the ones who stood their ground
For Tommy and Gina who never backed down
Tomorrow's getting harder, make no mistake
Luck ain't even lucky, you gotta make your own breaks

There are a couple of references here.  Firstly paying homage to Frank Sinatra with his classic My Way.  The second verse mentions Tommy and Gina who featured in Bon Jovi's other smash hit Livin' on a prayer.  The two references make me think about forging your own pathway forward, despite what everyone thinks about you and projects onto you (heck, they're entitled to their opinions, but it doesn't affect how you live your life).

In the past few weeks I have seen and heard people talk about being victims of their circumstances, blaming their historical socio-economic status for how things have turned out in their adult lives.  Granted, I'm not disregarding innocent children who have experienced the toughest situations beyond their control, I'm just talking about adults now who refuse to do things for themselves, to better the current circumstances - squarely laying the blame at other people's doorsteps, rather than looking in the mirror and seriously considering - how did I  get here?  Am I happy with where I am?  If not - how do I change my situation?  The first step is always the hardest, but you can't move forward without taking . . . a step, without. . . being strong enough to lay down your problems and burdens at other people's doorsteps.

You better stand tall
When they're calling you out
Don't bend, don't break
Baby don't back down. . . 

I hope that you live your life the way that you want.
I guess if you're not doing any harm to others, then it can't be bad right?
Inner strength, inner peace - those things come from you - within you.
Unless you are willing to make some decisions and face some realities about what you want out of your own life and making plans to get there - then you can't really live your life.

I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life. . .