Sunday, 18 January 2015

I know this . . . much is true . . .

Spandau Ballet are one of the key iconic bands from the 80s.  You can't deny that.
Their album True featured the hits True (funnily enough) and GoldI can't watch The Wedding Singer without thinking about this song as the final track at Robbie and Julia's wedding.

This has been one of the songs sitting in my draft folder for a while and I've been meaning to finish writing about it for some time now.  It's funny, you can't seem to write about things or think about what it means to you until situations collide in your life that allow for the words to spill easily onto the page.  Today is that day.  I'm hoping that it transfers quite magically into other areas of my life that require a single-minded focus and absolute concentration.  The challenge lies in being able to maintain my sense of truth and listening to the sounds of my soul.

So true funny how it seems
Always in time, but never in line for dreams
Head over heels when toe to toe
This is the sound of my soul
This is the sound . . . 

I bought a ticket to the world
But now I've come back again
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh I want the truth to be said . . .

This ticket to the world has been coming steadily in different guises.  They say hindsight is 20/20 but if that's true, there's definitely been a lot of opportunities that have made more sense after the fact.  The reasons why it has been hard for me to write the next line (both figuratively and literally) is that I've been sabotaging myself the entire time.  Try as I might to be in constant denial mode, I can quite comfortably sit back and truly reflect on what has happened (where do I begin) and consider how my truth, my story affects so many other people around me, just as much as their truth and their stories impact me.  I definitely know this much is true.

With a thrill to my head and a pill on my tongue
Dissolve the nerves that have just begun
Listening to Marvin all night long
This is the sound of my soul
This is the sound. . .

We can easily slip into our false sense of securities, our comfort zones, our shelters or the arms of people that freely open them to us without our prompting.  I've been losing myself constantly in music - all different types of music - listening to it, writing my own music, analysing other people's music, analysing my own, listening to feedback about my music.  Being such a music fanatic (freak maybe?) is that when I get into songwriting mode, it is all-consuming and majorly overwhelming.  It eats me up, inside out and it's almost like an incessant, compulsive need to keep writing, almost as if I want to write the desire to create music, out of my system.  I'm not sure if I'm brave enough yet to show anything as personal just yet.  It's still early days. . . even though I've been writing on and off for over 20 years (sigh).

Always slipping from my hands
Sand's a time of its own
Take your seaside arms and write the next line
Oh I want the truth to be known. . .

I hope that you are comfortable with your own truth and your own stories.
As much as it can be painful at times, it can fill you with passion and such intensity that threatens to put everything off balance.  It's at times like this that I remember my high school Classical Studies teacher talking about "all things in moderation, nothing in excess." 


So I guess the question is - how much of your truth are you prepared to share with others?
Would you be able to escape judgement or ridicule, not have the understanding that you're hoping to gain?  Whatever you decide to do, I hope that you know that your truth and your stories, are just as valid, just as valuable and just as important as anybody else's.


I guess it depends on who is willing to listen to your truth and be a part of your stories.

I know this much is true
I know this much is true. . .