Thursday, 8 January 2015

Daydream. . .

Lovin' Spoonful is an American band from the 1960s who enjoyed success despite having to compete with the American invasion of The Beatles in the same breath. I like this song because it's a fun track that evokes being carefree and wistful.  This particular performance is recorded by John Sebastian after he left the band.  The dynamic contrast with the softness of the verses juxtaposed with the robust chorus is also complemented by the insane whistling.  (I say insane, because I can't whistle to save my life).

Check out CDZA's History of Whistling if you are a huge fan of whistling. Today's track features at 1:02. I've used alot of CDZA's material in my music teaching.  They've got EVERYTHING you could possibly use to engage music students who are reluctant learners of instrumentation and timbre. If you're not familiar with them, look for their YouTube channel.


What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreaming boy
And now I'm lost in a daydream
Dreaming about my bundle of joy

And even if time ain't really on my side
It's one of those days for taking a walk outside
I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun
And fall on my face on someone's new-mown lawn

Summertime in Aotearoa can be blamed for the increase in daydream had by all people who have recently returned to work.  Although this song particularly highlights a 'bundle of joy' for being the culprit in the daydreams of the singer, the hot summer here creates daydreams for workers to long for more days at the beach, leisurely days without responsibilities and worrying about a schedule, spending time with people worth making memories.  The imagery of new-mown lawns reminds me of my childhood, playing with the grass cuttings, doing handstands on the front lawns of people's property in suburban West Auckland.  You could always count on playing with the neighbours' kids.  Times seemed to be safer back then.  When the days started to get dark and the streetlights would come on, that's when you knew it was time to head home.

I've been having a sweet dream
I've been dreaming since I woke up today
It's starring me and my sweet thing
Cos she's the one who made me feel this way

And even if time has passed me by a lot
I couldn't care less about the dues you say I got
Tomorrow I'll pay the dues for dropping my load
A pie in the face for being a sleepy Bo-Doe

(Whistle along with me. . .  just whistle anything)

The style of singing reminds me of Randy Newman, famous for his beautiful songs in the Toy Story series.  I have vivid memories of my nephew singing in a high pitched voice - "you've got a fremily" (you've got a friend in me haha).

The lyrics in this section speak to me about the willingness to let go of all responsibilities and obligations, just enjoying the daydream.  In the whistling interlude, I'm still amazed at how Sebastian is able to do it so effortlessly.  I've been guilty of overindulging in some daydreaming as of late.  I think it's just a residual effect from being on holiday.  Why is it so hard to transition back into work after some time away.  It's almost like you have the holiday blues and you start daydreaming about those holiday moments, wishing you were back there, in your happy place.

And you can be sure that if you're feeling right
A daydream will last long into the night
Tomorrow at breakfast you may pick up your ears
Or you may be daydreaming for a thousand years. . . 

I hope that you don't take life too seriously that you forget to daydream.
I'm prone to letting daydreams continue well into the night.
I just need to be careful that they don't unexpectedly morph into nightmares.  Yikes!
It's a way of maintaining your state of mind. being happy and being joyful around others :-)