Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Chandelier. . .

Chandelier is originally recorded by Sia, but I prefer this acoustic arrangement by Fatai also from Australia.  She first rose to fame as a contestant in Australia's The Voice with her killer range, beautiful song choices that showed off her versatile range and a super controlled tone expressed  effortlessly in multiple dynamic levels.  I had the wonderful opportunity to witness her perform live in concert in Auckland last year.  We didn't have the season of The Voice in which she was a contestant screen in Aotearoa, but I was just so glad that she decided to go on tour performing her unique arrangements and giving us a sneak peek (or listen) of her own original material.  She is definitely an artist worth checking out on YouTube if you are not already familiar with her work.


Party girls don't get hurt
Can't feel anything, when will I learn
I push it down, push it down

I'm the one "for a good time call"
Phone's blowin' up, they're ringin' my doorbell
I feel the love, feel the love

1, 2, 3  1, 2, 3 drink
1, 2, 3  1, 2, 3 drink
1, 2, 3  1, 2, 3 drink
Throw 'em back till I lose count

Have you ever been the "good time girl" that people expect you to be at parties?  It can be a tiring role to have.  If you've performed this role at one social event, you're most likely going to be called upon again to give a repeat performance.  Then of course, if you over-extend yourself in this capacity in other future occasions, you start to develop a reputation for being quite excessive and there might be a subtle shit from "good time girl" to wrecked the party girl by bringing all her "mates" (alter egos).

But I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down, won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, cos I'm holding on just for tonight
Help me, I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down, won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, cos I'm just holding on for tonight
On for tonight

You might even be using the front as the "good time girl" to mask all of the other things that are going on in your life.  Even when you know deep down that performing this role doesn't lead to happiness or some semblance of peace in your life, you keep giving these encore performances that are expected of you.  Losing count by knocking back those drinks, trying to drown your sorrows by slowly losing consciousness of what you're doing is not the way to forget what is really going on in your life.  

Sun is up, I'm a mess
Gotta get out now, gotta run from this
Here comes the shame, here comes the shame

Ah the classic walk of shame.  It could be waking from the reverie, like you've been sleepwalking, before you are sharply drawn back to reality and you've suddenly realised where you are and what you're doing.  There's something about when the sun comes up, when you sober up, the problems are still there.  In the light of day, the problems you were trying to avoid are still there, probably worsened by your poor decision-making or lack of inaction because you chose not to solve your issues, but instead avoid them by procrastinating with alcohol abuse or substance abuse.

I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, the chandelier
I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist
Like it doesn't exist
I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night, feel my tears as they dry

I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, the chandelier. . . 

I hope that you live for the moment and enjoy yourself.
But we all know there's that fine line that can be crossed, when living recklessly does damage not only to yourself, but to others around you.  Is the chandelier the safest place for you to be swinging from?  I know it's a pretty decoration and you're attracted to the pretty lights that emanate from the bulbs, but I'm not sure that it can hold you, especially how hard you're swinging from it.  I mean you haven't checked how stable the chandelier is hanging up there.  It might be safer for you to put some trust in someone to help you through, rather than swing from the chandelier.  It might seem exhilarating to fly like a bird through the night, but those tears even as they dry, will return in the morning.

So don't swing from the chandelier, come down from there.
Come and talk to me instead.  You can put your trust in me . . .