Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Bad Day. , .

Daniel Powter is a Canadian singer-songwriter.  This track Bad Day was the first song released from his self-titled debut album in 2005.  You might be familiar with the song during those horrible montage sequences of the unlucky people who never received golden tickets during American Idol auditions (can't remember exactly what season they used the song).

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

If you follow my blog, (specifically the home page section which has all of these beautiful songs that I reflect on) you'll know that I'm a sucker for piano introductions.  This song is no exception.  I think because I am a pianist it naturally draws my ear.  This particular introduction draws me in with the jaunty rhythmic swing that doesn't seem to match the melancholy sentiment of the lyrics.  That kind of juxtaposition is something that I look for often in songs,  I also think that's something I often look for in people, if not in situations, that sense of duality of things that don't match but exist side by side.


You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time
And I don't need no carryin' on

You often go through your life like that don't you.  Humans are creatures of habit and we go about our day, following our usual routine, we try not to let the outside world see or sense our inner discontent and can hopefully hide it by being quiet or not making eye contact.  You're probably that person on the bus or on the train, or standing next to me in an elevator, or sitting next to me in close proximity on a place, that if we accidentally touched, you would pull away.  That's ok.  It's not a sign that you're having a bad day, but it probably stems from something far deeper and something pre-existing that I can't see where you can't see human contact (or I could just totally be reading way too much into this than is necessary).

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I'm not wrong. . . 

Sometimes we let one tiny thing that niggles at us when we wake in the morning, or the evening if we're heading to work at whatever time of day, and it sets the tone for the rest of what we would call 'a bad day'.  So how do we counter this?  How do we stop it from snowballing into something that becomes bigger than what it needs to be?  It's as simple as putting things into perspective.

I hope you see that even when you're having a bad day - it doesn't need to be for the entire day.
I have had some friends reach out to me recently and ask me for advice about how to set their own plans into motion, they don't know what to do or how to even make the first steps towards taking action.

All I can say is brush off those setbacks, extricate yourself from the pit of self-pity that you're wallowing and snap out of it.  I'm not trying to sound harsh, but the more that you stay in that state of funk, you're missing out on getting to your desired destination - and to be honest, I can't help you get there.  Only YOU can get to where you need to be, because it's a journey of one, on a self-discovery that is meant for you.

All I can do for you is hope.  So I hope for no more bad days, but I hope that you are able to contain the number of bad days that you have and can move on from them to create better days that you're willing to share with me.  Now those types of days?  That's what I hope to hear about. . .