Saturday, 24 January 2015

Back to life. . . back to reality. . .

Next week I will be back to work. . . again.  I took a week and a half off after only being at work for about a week at the start of the year.  Is there something wrong you might be wondering?  No, nothing.  I just thought it would be a good time to take stock. . . reflect on what I need to do for myself . . . about my priorities and goals for the year which lead me to today's blog post track - Back to life by British group Soul II Soul.  I have talked about them in a previous blog post (see Keep on movin').  

Back to life. . . back to reality
Back to life. . . back to reality
Back to life. . . back to reality
Back to the here and now. . . yeah. . . 

Show me how you decide
What you want from me
Tell me, maybe I could be there for you. . . 

Sometimes you can forget when you're back from holiday that you need to snap out of holiday mode and focus on the tasks at hand.  I've been receiving some multiple reminders just lately about how much focus and concentration that I need (nobody has told me, just something I've realised and resented ha!) but it's all part of your daily learning as you navigate your way through life and making sense of it all.  Whatever "it" is - the purpose of your existence, the meaning of life, why the sky is blue and what makes the grass green (crazy random thoughts like that are uber normal).  The reality soon kicks in about people's expectations of you too - whether you choose to carry on with the status quo, go with how things have always been done or do you forge a new path forward . . . 



However do you want me
However do you need me
However do you want me
However do you need me

Back to life, back to the present time
Back from a fantasy, yes
Tell me, now, take the initiative
I'll leave it in your hands until you're ready

When I think wider, I also think about some situations where you could find yourself living in a fantasy within that situation, maybe because of who you're with and you play certain roles within that situation.  You could find yourself being the person in that situation where you put yourself at risk too many times, disregard everything that you know you wouldn't do and only realise this - when you are in the right frame of mind, or at least aware of what you're doing and what you're doing away from company.  Does this mean then, that you would need to have more conversations with yourself in the mirror, to gain some clarity about how you respond to things now, how you respond to people?  Are your hands even ready to take on board what needs to be done?  Will you take the initiative?

I live at the top of the block
No more room for trouble and fuss
Need change, a positive change
Look, it's me writing on the wall

Back to life, back to the day we have
Let's end this foolish game 
Hear me out, don't let it waste away
Make up your mind so I know where I stand . . . 

I hope that you will find the courage to settle those matters that needed settling from 2014.
As we draw to the end of the first month of 2015, you need to keep asking yourself questions - how will I be better than who I was last year?  How will I do what I want to do?  Where will I want to be?  Why should I be better anyway?

I know that I will be having more difficult conversations with people, but more likely, they will be difficult conversations that I need to have with myself first, if I am to connect better (can it be even more possible? I'm the best at connecting with people!), I need to continue to ask more of the right questions, I need to continue to listen and value people and what they bring to the table.

Need change, a positive change
Look, it's me writing on the wall. . .