Tuesday, 27 January 2015

A change is gonna come. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Anaru White 

I've had a 'mixed bag' kind of day today.  A bit like a box of chocolates without that glossy piece of paper that tells you exactly what's inside each tempting centre.  There have been pleasant surprises, some shocking surprises and some minor niggles of disappointment that I've quickly brushed off.  You know life is sometimes too short (well, let's face, everyday we're alive we're closer to dying right ha!) so choose to spend life in meaningful ways that will benefit other people.  I mean, this is partly why I write this blog.



I was born in river by the tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

My track of the moment is this classic A change is gonna come by the incomparable Sam Cooke.  I have many fond memories of Sam Cooke songs, but probably the most vivid is seeing +Anaru White sing one at karaoke.  For some people, singing in public is a huge risk, but with the right people, magic can happen.  I play memories like that in my mind like a movie reel, kind of like an archive of special features if you will that I like to watch from time to time to entertain myself.

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
'Cause I don't know what's there beyond the sky
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

I couldn't find a video clip that showed Sam Cooke performing this track, so I've selected a scene from the Malcolm X movie starring Denzel Washington.  The sentiments of the song reflect the climate of the time at its release.  I can't imagine how difficult it would've been to not be able to frequent public places that we take for granted now.  My own people have suffered persecution on some level historically during colonisation and even when they settled into new countries as migrants.  I guess it's the fear of the unknown that makes you do crazy things.  We either operate out of fear or love - so it's hard to love what we don't know, especially if we don't want to take the time to know it, take the time to know people.

Then I go to my brother
And I say, "Brother, help me please"
But he winds up knockin' me
Back down on my knees

There have been many times when I have asked people for help in my lifetime, but have been knocked back, knocked down (thankfully not knocked up!  it's all about direction!!!) and the valuable lessons I have learned from not getting help, has been that if you land on your knees, it's the best position to start praying.  Offload to the universe and pray for a change to come into your life.  But it is super important to make sure that you match up praying with action.  You need to set those small goals to transform that dream into a reality.  So I guess you can say, in this life, I am learning to transform my dreams into realities - not just for me, but for other people too.  It's no fun doing it for yourself, it's way better to share it with others or pay it forward.  Trust me, it will always keep a smile on the dial.

Oh there been times that I thought that I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will . . . 

Life is funny sometimes.  I was in the process of writing this blog post last night and it makes so much more sense since receiving my friend's news.  I'm not saying I'm psychic, I'm just always hopeful that good things happen to good people.  And even when bad things happen to good people - that we have the strength to push through and learn from all of the stickiness that is the bitumen of life.  Do we have the patience to roll it out and painstakingly ensure that it is completely set before we travel on it?  I don't know about you, but it's been a long, a long time coming, but I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will. . .