Tuesday, 30 December 2014

You get what you give. . .

The New Radicals released You get what you give in 1998.  I've heard it used many times on television commercials.  I think it's a great song for me to end the year with here in Aotearoa.  It's been a tremendous year, particularly in the second half of the year with so many family events and the expectations and obligations that accompany such family events.

It has often felt like there has been little opportunity to have some downtime or some 'alone time' this year so that will definitely need to be rectified in the New Year.  I am finding enjoyment in my own company, reacquainting myself with my own thought processes, testing my own limits and making decisions about myself to be the best person I can be for the world.

Wake up kids, we've got the dreamer's disease

At age 14 we got you down on your knees
So polite you're still busy saying please

I think that I have matured somewhat in the last few years (not talking about age here, but more about my outlook on life).  I'm learning to be less judgemental of others (we all know that's hard sometimes, because we do not like to admit when we're wrong, even when we blatantly are).  I've learned to admit and confess to mistakes, my weaknesses, mostly to myself if not to others.  Too often it can be easy to spot flaw in others, and I have been surrounded by a lovely bunch of people who are unafraid to tell me some home truths when I need them the most.

I still have the dreamer's disease - but like any disease, I have a course of treatment that I've developed and I'm self-administering the doses with a little bit of reality as well.  I'm probably going to be busy saying a little less 'please' next year as I come into my own, particularly when I should not have to apologise for speaking my mind and fighting to do what's right.


If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you
Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
The world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget you only get what you give

My reason to live is to spread love and be a useful person to others - rendering a life of service.
I have a lot of music in me that I've kept buried for some time, that was just recently unleashed in Samoa, so it's also going to take a bit of getting used to the idea of releasing that music to the world.  The music in me can literally mean my music, but also the essence of who I really am as a person and what I can do.

I hope you won't let your dream die - whatever it is.
I've been surrounded by musicians in the last few weeks - even yesterday, speaking to a couple of musicians whose opinions I highly value when it comes to music and the type of music that I make.
There are some serious decisions to be made ahead and it's an exciting time, yet scary.
But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope that you get the best that life has to offer.
But I guess you must be prepared to give as much as you want to get.
I hope that the blog posts I've shared with you this year have helped you or entertained you in some way.  Then at least, I'll know that I have fulfilled one of my many reasons to live - to give to you.