Monday, 29 December 2014

Wonder Woman. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Sieni Voorwinden

Wonder Woman is the Amazon warrior-princess that all little girls wanted to be in the 80s.  The original super heroine who hailed from royalty - with her long flowing raven mane, bright blue eyes, athletic build and quick thinking, Princess Diana of Themyscira was truly a wonder.

As an impressionable young child, I would be taken away on Wonder Woman's adventures as she fought for justice and to right the wrongs brought against the victims she saved in each episode.

All the world is waiting for you
and the power your possess
in your satin tights
fighting for your rights
and the old red white and blue 

I've just returned from spending Christmas with family in Samoa and to some extent it felt like I was a bit of a Wonder Woman taking on extra duties and responsibilities that I hadn't anticipated taking on board (let's be real - I was trying to escape that in Aotearoa lol).  Granted it's been a while since I looked smoking hot in satin tights (the privacy in one's home is always the safest venue for such an outing ha!) but fighting for people's rights (including my own) has always been something that I have been passionate about upholding.



Now the world is ready for you
and the wonders you can do
Make a hawk a dove
stop a war with love
make a liar tell the truth

I know quite a lot of wonder women in my life.
I've grown up with them, I work with some of them, I am close friends with some of them and there are even some other wonder women I have yet had the pleasure to meet.  I guess that's an exciting prospect for a wonder woman - to meet other women like herself, to offer that collegial support, I mean let's face it - it's the sisterhood that we have to value and seek with other like-minded women.

All our hopes are pinned upon you
and the magic that you can do
stop a bullet cold
make the axis fold
change their minds and change the world

My time away from the land of my birth and spending it in the land of my forefathers has made me appreciate where I am descended from, why I am the person that I am today, why I fight for the injustices that are faced by indigenous peoples and diaspora societies wherever they may be - because it makes up the essence of who I am, it's the foundation of how I choose to lead my life.

I hope that my fellow wonder women continue to be just that - wonder women.
I hope that you continue to fulfil your purpose of who you are and what you do.
Change minds and change the world sisters xx