Sunday, 14 December 2014

The wonder of you. . .

This blog post is a song request from +Daphne Papuni 


This is the second blog post I've written about the legendary King of Rock 'n' Roll (see "In the ghetto" in a previous blog post).   My memories of The wonder of you stems from hearing different kapa haka groups perform their own special renditions of it as part of their performance brackets for national competitions here in Aotearoa.  I also associated this song with my dear friend +Christina Muaiava and her wonderful family as she wrote an arrangement of this song in Samoa and they sing it for Seventh Day Adventist services that focus on family.  


When noone else can understand me 
When everything I do is wrong
You give me hope and consolation
You give me strength to carry on

Is there someone in your life that does this for you?  Maybe you're that someone for someone else?  It can be disconcerting to try and make plans, test ideas and be yourself when things might not go your way. It is very easy to feel useless or disillusioned.  It is easy to feel like the whole world is against you and just when you think you're making progress, you slide backwards again.

And you're always there to lend a hand
In everything I do
That's the wonder
The wonder of you

Grab hold of that someone who knows when to be around you, knows when to be there for you only when you need them to be.  Think back in your life when you've come across some times when you've had that someone come in and save you at the eleventh hour, when it all seems that all hope is lost and your world has ended.

And when you smile the world is brighter
You touch my hand and I'm a king
Your kiss to me is worth a fortune
Your love for me is everything 

There's nothing quite like not just lending a hand but lending both hands - but don't stop there - lend your time, energy and support to heal people.  To some level I think our purpose as humans is to connect with others and heal the broken pieces of ourselves.  There's something fundamental about human touch - a kiss, a hug, physical intimacy.  The cynics in us would say there's no such thing as a kiss being worth a fortune, that love surpasses all.  Maybe you just haven't had the love of a lifetime to know how that feels.

I'll guess I'll never know the reason why
You love me like you do
That's the wonder
The wonder of you

I hope that if you feel like you don't deserve your partner - stop feeling that way.  Who needs to know why people love us the way they do? That they love us as intently as they do that we can't begin to fathom the depths or the reasons why.  I just hope that you get to experience the wonder of someone like that in your lifetime.  If you already have that someone - I know your world is made brighter by their smile.  I hope you can see the wonder that I see in you . . .