Wednesday, 10 December 2014

The littlest hobo. . .

Today's blog post reminds me of my own connection with dogs.  I had a puppy and a dog growing up as a kid.  We had a dog named Flash and a puppy named Sheba.  I can't remember what became of Flash, but we called him that because he was super fast.  Maybe he ran away, because he was gone in a flash.  When he was gone, we never spoke about him again.  Sheba though, she was a feisty little puppy who would guard our house, barking at strangers and jumping on us all the time.  She reminded me of Scrappy Doo.  Sheba was eventually taken from us one night.  Somebody stole her and we never saw her again.  The dogs were loyal, fun to be around and always eager to spend time with us as kids.

Terry Bush sings Maybe tomorrow the theme song to The Littlest Hobo.  
This TV show taught me about compassion, helping others and putting yourself in danger while helping others.  The show focused on a little dog who travelled from town to town, like a canine Mary Poppins or Nanny McPhee, a less aggressive Incredible Hulk helping people in need, while in search of a sense of home.  The start of the show, played by London relied on the kindness of strangers as reward for his good deeds.



There's a voice that keeps on calling me
Down the road, that's where I'll always be
Every stop I make, I make a new friend
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again

As an adult I reflect on how wonderful it would be to be this carefree, travelling wherever you pleased, meeting new people, doing what needs to get done and then moving on again.  When I think about the line of work I'm in - the above sentence aptly describes how I've been working in schools and communities over the past few years - visiting schools and working alongside senior management and teachers to support their work with Pasifika students.  The idea of being down the road, being close at hand when help is needed is a reassuring thing in our day and age.  With the onset of technology - we can be a few keystrokes away, much closer and much more instant that the physical distance of being down the road.

Down this road that never seems to end
Where new adventure lies just around the bend
So if you want to join me for a while
Just grab your hat, we'll travel light, that's hobo style

Travelling light is the best way to travel,  Leaving all of your earthly possessions behind you and moving around places with more flexibility and ease.  There's something exciting about new adventures, embracing the unknown and trusting in yourself that you will know how to deal with whatever challenge or obstacle comes your way - as long as you enjoy your journey, become prepared for it (without being overly-prepared, sometimes that takes the fun out of the journey).

There's a world that's waiting to unfold
A brand new tale no-one has ever told
We've journeyed so far so you know it won't be long
We're almost there, and we've paid a fare with a hobo song

I hope that you create some new tales in your life that will be worth sharing with your grandchildren.
I don't have any grandchildren, I don't have any children either.  But something that Toni Morrison talked about in an Oprah book club about being around children resonated with me - that your face lights up when they enter a room.  It could be your own children or someone else's children - kids in general with their youth, playfulness and general cuteness can have that effect on people.

I hope that you then continue to have some new tales in your life that bring you the same joy that seeing children enter a room would give you, or the same joy that seeing your significant other or a very dear friend has when you lay eyes on them as they enter the room.

I hope that if you are too afraid to start living, too afraid to create some new tales, just keep moving.
You'll soon find out where you belong when you get there.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on. . .