Tuesday, 30 December 2014

If. . .

This blog post is a song request from +Shannon Vulu 

I have fond memories of playing If by Bread.
It was the first song I performed publicly on the piano at a wedding in my hometown at another church.  I remember purchasing the sheet music for the song at the music store that I still purchase sheet music from as an adult.  I also remember trying out the song at the music store on one of the upright pianos.  I loved the music arrangement in the sheet music and thus began my love for performing wedding music.  It ended up being the wedding waltz for the newlywed couple.


If a picture paints a thousand words
Then why can't I paint you
The words will never show the you I've come to know
If a face can launch a thousand ships
Then where am I to go?
There's noone home but you
You're all that's left me too
And when my love for life is running dry
You come and pour yourself on me

There's something beautiful and poignant about love songs that not only speak about the love for others, but describes how love makes you feel.  When someone can encourage you and empower you to love life because they pour so much love onto you, has almost become the best forms of healing for myself.  When I least expect it, but I suspect when I need it the most - love has poured itself on me through the many people that I have had the privilege of knowing in this lifetime.  

It can also be extremely challenging to hear from people how great you and how wonderful the world is with you in it.  It can be difficult to hear because it's not because you don't believe what you hear, but you almost doubt yourself that you mean that much to someone else.  You're probably unaware about how much you have done for others indirectly because they haven't had the chance to say so.  I hope you rectify this in the new year to come and willingly and openly share with others how they make you feel and how they make such a difference to your life.

If a man can be in two places at one time 
I'd be with you
Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way
If the world should stop revolving spinning slowly down to die
I'd spend the end with you
And when the world was through
Then one by one the stars would all go out
Then you and I would simply fly away. . . 

There will be many people in your life that wish they could spend more time with you, would rather be with you than who they're with now - they're possibly trapped by obligation, circumstances beyond their control - or they've chosen pathways that they now regret or they've never met anybody like you before and now can't resist keeping away from you.  

For whatever reason - tread carefully.

The thing about "if" is that it is a delicate world of possibilities that isn't stable or safe.
I hope that I have learned enough lessons in my life to know when to leave well enough alone.
I think I've done a pretty good job so far doing so and have made decisions that have been the right ones to make for everyone mostly - least of all myself.  Even when I'm tempted to fly away with you.

I continue to hope - for you and me. . .