Tuesday, 2 December 2014

I swear. . .

This blog post is a song request from +Dave Fa'avae 

I swear was a song originally recorded by John Michael Montgomery in 1994.  I didn't realise this existed until a few years after that time, after performing the All 4 One cover version at my high school ball (senior prom) in my final year of high school.  We performed two songs at the ball.  The first one was Lately by Stevie Wonder covered by Jodeci at the time and this song.  An interesting observation for me to note now that I didn't back then -  was that we attended an all-girls school and chose to sing songs released by male r'n'b groups.  I sang the second verse of the song, the second soloist in the group.

I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky

And I swear like the shadow that's by your side

I see the questions in your eyes

I know what's weighing on your mind
You can be sure I know my part 
Cause I stand beside you through the years
You'll only cry those happy tears
And though I make mistakes
I'll never break your heart

The song opens with a unison introduction with ambiguous instrumentation in the background.  The thing I like most about boy bands / vocal groups is the chance to hear each someone step forward and sing their solo.  It's an opportunity for the listener to hear the vocal chops of the individuals that make up the group.  In some groups you'll hear the same individuals being singled out to hold the melody - they're usually the key soloists who kick off every verse.



I'll give you everything I can
I'll build your dreams with my two hands
We'll hang some memories on the wall

The second verse introduces the second soloist in the group.  This singer is my favourite singer in the group.  I think I'm a bit partial to the tone  - it's rich and deep, probably second tenor, baritone.  You get to hear the tenor in the countermelody riffs in the chorus, particularly when he ad libs.  Out of all of their songs, this is the one that I feel features the second soloist the best.

It reminds of moments in life when you tend to take a second look at someone, you see something that wasn't there before and your perception shifts slightly.  There is potential or something deeper there that you hadn't noticed and it's almost like the sun hits their face differently today, you didn't notice how long their eyelashes were or there's a different quality in their voice that lingers in your ear longer than usual.  Whatever the reasons may be - there is a subtle shift.  You don't quite know what to make of it - you don't necessarily hate it - but you don't know if you should like it either.

And when (and when) just the two of us are there
You won't have to ask if I still care
'Cause as the time turns the page
My love won't age at all

There is a certain formula that songs can take - where it starts off quite mellow, as sparse as possible and the character of the song builds, the mood develops. you get dynamic contour when the harmonies kick in and this is exactly what happens in this particular part of the song.  Declaring your love and reassuring someone how you feel can be overwhelming - because you might be saying it out loud for the first time and don't know how the other person might take it, or you've never said it out loud, ever, to anyone, so the possibility of rejection or epic failure is a very real fear indeed.

I hope that whoever you choose to make these promises, these oaths and vows of forever with, that you are happy and value each other.  We live in a world that can very quickly discard true emotions that are tender, beautiful and genuine.  It totally depends of course on how you define the nature of your relationships and love connections (move over Chuck Woolery) but I hope you love who you're with every single beat of your heart anyway :-)