Sunday, 7 December 2014

Beauty and the Beast. . .

Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton starred in Beauty and the Beast a TV show that ran from1987-1990.  As a young girl I could get lost in this TV series, can't really remember who I watched it with (being the only girl in the family you would be prone to watching romantic drama series on your own when you could get the chance).  The escapism that TV provides is still something strong that continues in today's day and age - but of course it's much more extreme with more skin being revealed, it's much more raunchier and nobody apologises for it as standards seem to be much more relaxed as the people responsible for producing what we watch continue to push the envelope on what will be acceptable.  The biggest change for me in this respect has definitely been evident in music videos - where it focused on dancing and the artistry of performers whereas now - I can't even. .  . but back to Vincent and Catherine . . .


This is where the wealthy and the powerful rule
It is her world, a world apart from mine
Her name. . .  is Catherine
From the moment I saw her she captured my heart
With her beauty, her warmth and her courage
I knew then as I know now
She would change my life forever. . . 

I often wonder if people feel this way.  You often hear about this 'love at first sight' that people talk about or experience.  They always talk about how it's the personality of a person or an inner beauty that shines through, but everybody knows that first impressions do count and it is this that captures the heart first, or at least connects with your own heart strings and pulls you closer to the object of your affection or admiration for closer inspection.

There are times where this can become awkward when that object of your affection or admiration belongs to somebody else, or does not reciprocate your thoughts nor wants to entertain them.  In the case where even though the object of your affection or admiration does belong to someone else, he/she might entertain the thought of belonging to you - in the confines of your situation or context.  This of course presents a different set of complications (the labelling in itself is questionable enough) but the idea that you would then create a place - irrespective of time or space - that you belong together in - like a bubble if you will.  Just need to make sure that the bubble doesn't pop. . .

He comes from a secret place, far below the city streets
Hiding his face from strangers, Safe from hate and harm
He brought me there to save my life
And now wherever I go he is with me in spirit
For we have a bond stronger than friendship or love
And although we cannot be together
We will never ever be apart. . . 

I have met several people who have saved my life.
More often than not, these people know who they are.
Those that don't know this (but may be slightly suspicious that they are) don't know how to broach the subject without sounding conceited - so that's a funny conversation that I will look forward to having - should they ever raise the issue.  So what am I trying to say here?  Read between the lines ha!

I definitely have bonds with people that is stronger than friendship or love - purely for the reasons that we can't be together because we are not meant to be together.  It is hard to articulate that we will never be apart, because those words have not been uttered and quite frankly I think it is unsafe to do so.  There is safety in not saying words sometimes, heck, I don't even know if what I'm saying right now is safe, but there you have it.

I hope that you have your romantic fairytale.  That you have your Beauty and the Beast scenario.  Whether having fleeting moments like that in secret places is sufficient enough for your needs, by all means carry on.  But if you want to 'rock the boat' and take things to another level - that's a completely different kettle of fish (gees excuse the ocean references, just realised!).

So to all of you that can (or if you are unwilling to admit) be as romantic as me, I hope that although we cannot be together, we will never ever be apart. . .