Wednesday, 3 December 2014

A place in the sun. . .

This blog post is dedicated to Matamea Agaimalo Mika Tafa

Today's blog post features A place in the sun by the legendary Stevie Wonder.  I have written about Mr. Wonder before in previous blog posts (see "I never dreamed you'd leave in summer", "that's what friends are for") and referenced his keyboard work in "Goodday" during NZ Music Month in May.

Like a long lonely stream
I keep runnin' towards a dream
Movin' on, movin' on
Like a branch on the tree
I keep reachin' to be free
Movin' on, movin' on

I'm in another part of Aotearoa for work and I'm missing your burial service and funeral Matamea.
The last time we saw each other at a funeral was for someone else at church,  We looked at some mausoleums that peppered the sloping hills in the cemetery.  My father stood with us and said to you that I had promised to buy him a mausoleum to put him in, a little house for himself.  You laughed out loud and like people who enjoy a good laugh, we took that joke and extended it, came up with other ideas and laughed some more.  I know you'll be missed, because I can still hear that laugh of yours ringing clear in my ears.




'Cause there's a place in the sun
Where there's hope for everyone
Where my poor restless heart's gotta run
There's a place in the sun 
And before my life is done
Got to find me a place in the sun

You served God for such a long time in our church.
You were the church secretary, responsible for keep church activities and the church calendar running as smoothly as possible.  If I came to play music on the electric piano in the church, when I needed a place of sanctuary, you always left me to my own devices.

I'm confident that you've found your place in the sun right now.

Like an old dusty road
I get weary from the load
Like this tired troubled earth
I've been rollin' since my birth
Movin' on, movin' on

During choir rehearsals when I would teach the bass, you would always make me laugh because when you sang, you would look at me and smile knowing full well that I knew that you didn't really know your part.  When rehearsals got too long for your liking, you would call out "Mālō le a'o", praising me for teaching the song with the subtle hint that we needed to finish.  It almost seemed as if the bass took turns to call this out from time to time.  It was a standard joke for the choir and still is today.

Thanks for always being a warm, kind and caring father.
Even when you weren't feeling at your best and you could make it to church, you remembered who I was.  I will not be sad today, even when I'm finding it hard to sleep right now, thinking about how your beloved wife and beautiful daughters will be farewelling you today.  As you lay to rest, just know that you no longer need to suffer in your pain.  You have moved on, you are free.

(Spoken) You know when times are bad
And you're feeling sad
I want you to always remember

Yes there's a place in the sun
Where there's hope for everyone
Where my poor restless heart's gotta run
There's a place in the sun
Where there's hope for everyone
Where my poor restless heart's gotta run
There's a place in the sun
Where there's hope for everyone. . . 

Thanks for the love people.
I've surpassed the 25,000 mark that I had hoped to reach by the end of the year.  It has just been over a year since I started this blog and it has been a constant source of comfort, avenue to share my thoughts, vent my frustration to the world at large. It has been the hope that when you have read these blog posts that you have found something that has resonated with you, that has made you sniffle if not cry, chuckle if not laugh out loud, be slightly annoyed if not downright mad.

There's a place in the sun
Where there's hope for everyone. . .

Rest in peace Matamea.
Manuia lou malaga xxx