Saturday, 1 November 2014

You're the best. . .

If you're looking for the ultimate "build yourself up" song from the 80s - you have several options (I won't outline them here, except to say that I've discussed quite a few already in previous blog posts).
The particular song that wins it for me in this category is You're the best by Joe Esposito.

All of the characters in the movie have a turn with some really funny lines.  The funniest lines I remember don't stem from Mr. Miyagi's little sayings or the things he does but the little one-liners of Daniel's enemies from the rival dojo, but the sensei is also to blame for some cheesy lines in the film.


Try to be best
'Cause you're only a man
And a man's gotta learn to take it
Try to believe
Though the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it
History repeats itself
Try and you'll succeed
Never doubt that you're the one
And you can have your dreams!

Take out the word 'man' and replace it with girl, not because we're being PC, but because us girls probably need just as much, if not more motivation to cultivate self-belief and high self-esteem.
You get to a point when you're sick of society, the media, so-called friends, more likely to be frenemies, most definitely your enemies forcing your hand to bring out your inner toughness.
Yes it's character-building, but it will take everything in you, including your steely resolve (well, you're constantly developing that resolve aren't you?) to ensure that you stay on track to success.

The song opens with the electric guitar wailing together with the drums.  The syncopated synthesiser helps to drive the music forward, while the electric guitar and the bass play semibreve chords in the background to give some texture.

Fight 'til the end 
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you
Ah you gotta be proud
Starin' out in the cloud
When the odds in the game defy you
Try your best to win them all
And one day time will tell
When you're the one that's standing there
You'll reach the final bell!

During the greatest trials in your life, it will help to gaze out into the distance, away from your situation to try and gain some perspective.  Time away, change of scene for a bit to clear the mind - doing something completely different to try and feel human again.  There's nothing better when the underdog survives against all odds and lives to fight another day because they've won the war.

I have a statistics exam coming up soon.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would be doing a statistics paper at university, but it's a necessary part of the requirements of what I need to do for my study, preparation for an academic career, useful for my current job and something that has definitely challenged my thinking and attitude towards statistics in general.  It's not so much the content of the paper that has taught me the most - but more to do with the people I have met while doing this paper and the connections I have made there, my observations of how university is like now for our current generation of students, what I would love to change about how learning takes place within a university - and it kind of reinforced why I love learning.  I'm looking forward to that one day when I reach the final bell for sure.

You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down
You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down
You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you do2w-ow-ow-own. . . 

I don't know about you, but the chorus of this song gets me every time.
I hope that you remember this chorus and sing it over and over to yourself in your mind as the quickest "pick-me-up" song ever, just before you head into that meeting that you're taking, before you have to speak in front of strangers who are relying on you to know what you're talking about, before you step onto a sports field/court/track, before you head into whatever battle you're fighting - just remember that you're the best and nothing's gonna ever keep you down . . .