Sunday, 9 November 2014

Who can I turn to . . .

This blog post is a song request for +Pelema Taulapapa @Pelema5

This is the first time I've written about one of Sammy Davis Jr's songs but not the first time that I've written about him.  A previous blog post focused on a song called You were there sung by Michael Jackson performed in honour of Mr. Bojangles at his birthday (search "You were there" to read that one).

Who can I turn to is a track from the Broadway show Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd.  This song was written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley and it is commonly more associated with and famously recorded by Tony Bennett.




Who can I turn to when nobody needs me
My heart wants to know and so I must go where destiny leads me
With no star to guide me and noone beside me
I'll go on my way and after the day
The darkness will hide me

I think about when we take stock of our lives, we talk in terms of heading towards something or at least moving in some kind of direction.  The opening line talks about turning to face someone, turning towards them, with your body facing them.  This implies that you are opening yourself to a relationship or to make at least some kind of connection when you face towards someone.  You are willing to avail yourself (of yourself) and face that other person with a willingness to face each other, face the world together.

However, in saying that, there is a sense of melancholy expressed in this verse.  The way in which it is sung also lends itself more to the expression of this melancholy.  There is definitely something inherently beautiful in sadness, particularly when it is to do with how it manifests in you.  Will you let the darkness hide you so the world can't see your sadness?

And maybe tomorrow I'll find what I'm after
I'll throw off my sorrow, beg, steal or borrow my share of laughter
With you I could learn to, with you what a new day
But who can I turn to if you turn away?

I hope that you find what you are after.
Tomorrow may not necessarily mean the next day, it might mean several months or even years.
If you don't end up with the person that you think you need right now, rest assured that you will eventually be with the one you were meant to be with.  For those of us who have lost loved ones along the way, and may feel like our laughter has been taken with them - it's a daily process.
We find new people in our journey who will start to heal certain parts of our hearts that were left damaged, broken and non-functional.

I hope that you find your new day soon.  That you enjoy the happiness that the new day will bring.
I'm confident that the new day will last for not only a day, but months, maybe even years.

Just keep that hope alive - that when you eventually turn to someone, that they will - turn to you.