Friday, 28 November 2014

If I should fall behind. . .

This blog post is dedicated to +Metitilani Alo who performed a brilliant rendition of this song.

I normally associate Bruce Springsteen with his Born in the U.S.A. album, watching him dance with Courtney Cox while performing Dancing in the dark.  As Bruce matured, I appreciated his more softer songs like I'm on fire and The streets of Philadelphia.  Today's blog post features this lovely collaborative rendition of If I should fall behind.

We said we'd walk together baby come what may
That come the twilight should we lose our way
If as we're walking a hand should slip free
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me




We swore we'd travel darlin' side by side
We'd help each other stay in stride
But each lover's steps fall so differently
But I'll wait for you
And if I should fall behind
Wait for me

It can be challenging to be in sync with someone, in the right place, in the right time, even when technically you are together, or you may even not be.  Relationships are complicated ventures to undertake and psychologists will tell you how what labels to assign your behaviour and predict those patterns of behaviour.  I find relationships fascinating because feelings are intangible, we can't see them or touch them, but we can definitely feel them, sense how badly or how well things are going - if we know what they mean or not.  The expectation of waiting for each other - the result of promises made - whether formally or informally can only be kept when you honour what those promises mean.

Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true
But you and I know what this world can do
So let's make our steps clear that the other may see
And I'll wait for you
And if I should fall behind
Wait for me

Lasting love, true love is the stuff of fairytales.  Some people are fortunate enough to have it in their lifetime.  Others have experienced it with others when they weren't supposed to - that one makes me smile, that accidental love.  It kind of borders on that surprising love; it can still be lasting if you want to cultivate it and sustain it.  Surprising love can also be true, can even shake you to the core.  The essence of this verse hopes that there is clear communication to make a way forward, to still be in step with each other, allowing you to catch up even if you do fall behind.

Now there's a beautiful river in the valley ahead
There 'neath the oak's bough soon we will be wed
Should we lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me
Darlin' I'll wait for you
Should I fall behind
Wait for me

I hope that one day you will no longer fall behind.  That you won't lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees.  I hope that your significant other or the one you long to be with - will wait for you, even if it isn't physically possible in this lifetime, but that they will wait for you in the life beyond. . .