Sunday, 30 November 2014

Don't give up. . .

Originally by Peter Gabriel, this song has been haunting me for a few weeks now.  I've written about Mr. Gabriel before in a previous blog post (check out 'The book of love').  I like the jazz version of Don't give up by Herbie Hancock featuring John Legend and Pink.  This song features as part of the Imagine Project where Hancock has collaborated with several artists (check out Pink and Seal singing John Lennon's Imagine).  I'm not sure if I've rediscovered my love for Herbie Hancock because we played a lot of Hancock's music in jazz band at high school i.e. Watermelon Man and Chameleon.  



In this proud land we grew up strong
We were wanted all along
I was taught to fight, taught to win
I never thought I could fail

You get taught how to fight, not because someone teaches you how to fight, but because you are placed in situations where you are forced to fights, to stand up for yourself.  If you are taught to fight, you never get taught everything you need to know about tactics, strategies and some power shots - you need to learn by experience.  Often having that experience means that you will need to fail from time to time.  Nobody goes into a fight expecting or wanting to lose.  But if you do lose, then you must be prepared to lose in a way that has minimal damage, to lose in a way that you can contain the pain and reduce the recovery time.

Don't give up
Cos you have friends
Don't give up
You're not beaten yet
Don't give up
I know you can make it good

You might be down for now, but it won't be forever.  I will always be a friend to you, I will always listen to what you have to say, I will always be here for you.  I can't say enough - just acknowledge, accept then advance.  You can't afford to dwell so much on your actions, but think instead about the good that you can do for all.  There will be a lot of people who think you have been beaten and will kick you when you are down.  Just roll away, practise those techniques that we rehearsed to minimise the pain, use those blocks that we used to defer, to deflect and build that resistance.  You know those types of people have no place in your life, so don't focus on them.  Move on and make it good.  Those types of people will always lurk in the shadows and spend their time trying to make your life a misery.  Do not spare those people another thought - they are past the point of help.  They are not constructive - they are destructive.

Rest your head
You worry too much
It's going to be alright
When times get tough
You can fall back on us
Don't give up
Please don't give up

Use this time to rest, to reassess, to think about what you want to do.  How often have you made brash decisions because you thought that expedience is the solution - no it isn't.  Careful decision making is required, careful and deliberate planning is key to your survival.

Don't give up 
You still have us
Don't give up
We don't need much of anything
Don't give up
'cause somewhere there's a place
Where we belong

These are the lessons that I speak to myself in my mind.  These are the lessons that friends ask for advice about.  These are the lessons that I learn from my family.  These are the lessons that teach me how to be in my life and know how to continue to help others, and when to let others go.

Don't give up now
We're proud of who you are
Don't give up
You know it's never been easy
Don't give up
'cause I believe there's a place
There's a place where we belong

I hope that judgemental people are far from your mind.  I hope that you continue to let hope grow within yourself for a very long time, because people will try their best to destroy it until you give up.

So you know the best thing that only you can do?

Don't give up. . .