Saturday, 25 October 2014

Win. . .

Brian McKnight is one of my favourite performers.  He is a singer-songwriter whom I admire as much for his poignant love songs as for his songs of praise.  When you get to know an artist through their music, you come to know the way they operate, the way they construct songs that make you think 'ah, signature moment there', you appreciate the way they sound, that unmistakeable tone and the types of chords that they use.  All of those elements combined, it keeps you coming back for more, it's what makes you love their music and makes you a fan.  Today's blog post focuses on Win which Brian co-wrote with Brandon K Hampton and recorded for the film Men of Honor starring Cuba Gooding Jr.


Dark is the night
I can weather the storm
Never say die
I've been down this road before
I'll never quit
I'll never lay down, mm,
See I promised myself that I'd never let me down

When everyone else fades into the background. when all other obstacles or distractions can fall away, it's at that time that you will feel the most alone on your quest.  It's those times that I believe you can thrive in the most - that solo journey that nobody else is willing to accompany you on, that you must complete on your own because it's your journey to take and nobody else's.  You'll notice that they will appear again to enjoy the celebrations once you have defeated your demons and emerged triumphant.  I think if you go through life depending on others for your happiness, you set yourself up to fail.  Don't give up on yourself and you can only be hard on yourself when you've let yourself down.  You can't control others - but you can control you.

No stopping now
There's still a ways to go, oh,
Someway, somehow
Whatever it takes, I know
I'll never quit, no, no
I'll never go down, mm, mm,
I'll make sure they remember my name
A hundred years from now

Everybody craves recognition to some extent, or at the very least, credit should be given where credit is due.  In my relatively short life thus far, I have experienced enough heartache and considerable amount of shafting to know what it feels like when people can take your intellectual property, your creations, your work and pass it off as theirs, or take the credit for it and claim it under the "team effort" umbrella - yet they are quite happy to stand at the helm and be recognised for it.  The other people around you who have worked on the same project know that it was in fact you who created it - but are not staunch enough to stand up for you.  I used to feel this way quite a lot in several different contexts that I was involved in - but, as painful as that was at those various times - I have learned to feel sorry for those types of people.  Think about it - if to get ahead, they needed to take credit for your stuff - then at least you know - your stuff is good. 

I'll never give up
Never give in
Never let a ray of doubt slip in
And if I fall
If I fail
I'll just get up and try again

Never lose hope
Never lose faith
There's too much at stake
Upon myself I must depend
I'm not looking for place or show
I'm gonna win

I hope that whatever you set your mind to in life, that you win.
I have learned that I don't really want to be famous or prove to people that I can win.
Understanding that I want to win in life because I want my life to be full of challenging moments that I have overcome - without being compared to others, without competing with others - but more to do with digging deep within myself to uncover the depths of my hidden potential and knowing who I truly am.  I'm gonna win. . .