Saturday, 4 October 2014

Thank you for being a friend . . .

If you were a child growing up in the 80s, you would have been a huge fan of TV.
One of my favourite TV shows was The Golden Girls with Blanche, Rose, Dorothy and her mother Sophia.  The camaraderie amongst these girls was fun to watch.  Each character had their own distinct personality and I never tired of watching their adventures every week (even though it seems weird to me now as an adult that I had a fascination with a programme about girls doing it for themselves in their sunset years).

Thank you for being a friend
Travel down the road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a friend and a confidante

You can have many friends, but not many of them can be counted as confidantes.
This song reminds me about taking the necessary measures to secure friends that you can also count on as confidantes.  You might find these traits in different types of people.  Some of them you might not be able to live with, but work alongside, or may have lost touch with over the years - you know the friends for a reason or season.

Good friends are the definitely those people who tell you what it is that you need to know, rather than what you want to hear.  Sometimes when they tell you things and think that you are being quiet and not talking, that this is a deterrent for wanting to tell you things anyway.  So they would prefer not to be upfront with you about anything or beat around the bush long enough, until there are no leaves left on that bush, then they need to come clean.


I have learned some valuable lessons with friendships over the years.
I am still learning these lessons today.
You might have specific requirements for friends and will only stick to the types of people that you will always be comfortable with.  I find this a boring and meaningless way to live.  I say make friends with people who would never want to be friends with you.  You're probably thinking - that is a ridiculous idea.  But hey, think about it.  The most learning I have ever had with friendships has been to make friends with people that are out of my 'comfort zone'.

I recently watched an interview with Brooke Fraser where she talked about her new album,
She talked about her new music and how she wants her new album to reflect a desire to 'disturb the comforted and comfort the disturbed.'  I believe that these are qualities of what a good, true friend possesses.

A funny line I remember from the 'Streetcar named Desire' episode of The Simpsons had one of the musical numbers "A stranger is a friend you haven't met".  I guess at the end of the day, we should be kind to each other and be caring towards one another, even if we rush about our daily lives in a fashion that doesn't allow us sufficient time (or inclination) to make friends - or thank the ones we have.

So this song is a reminder for me - to thank all of my friends - for being a friend.
To those who comfort me when I am disturbed and those who disturb me when I am comforted.

And if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say,
'Thank you for being a friend'