Sunday, 12 October 2014

Quando, quando, quando. . .

This blog post is a song request from Upolu Pouono from Auckland, New Zealand (Aotearoa).

Engelbert Humperdinck is one of those artists that I associate with Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but he's much more than that really.  He is one of the artists that my parents first introduced me to at an early age, along with Elvis Presley, Dolly Parton, Mark Williams (New Zealand artist who rose to prominence in the late 70s) and Jim Reeves.


I've chosen this particular YouTube clip of Quando quando quando to showcase the song, because to me it represents alot of what the song is about.  It's supposed to be a song about yearning and pressing the object of your affections to commit to the highly anticipated answer - that love will be returned - but the song is also playful in nature as shown by the dancing in the video.  It's probably something that every man dreams about - singing a song and hoping to be surrounded by beautiful women who are pleasing to the eye (unless of course, women aren't your thing).

Tell me when will you be mine?
Tell me quando quando quando
We can share a love divine
Please don't make me wait again

When will you say yes to me
Tell me quando quando quando
You mean happiness to me
Oh my love please tell me when

The first verse is interesting because it means that Engelbert has had to wait again.
Does this mean that she has been his love before - but now she's changed her mind?
But then he sings later about asking her, when will she be his?
Come on Engelbert, getting mixed messages here. . .

Every moment's a day
Every day seems a lifetime
Let me show you the way
To a joy beyond compare. . 

This is the only different part musically in the song.  For the most part, you have that constant bossanova beat with its distinctive accents of syncopation.  We know that this song was initially taken from an Italian song and then translated into English.  It has enjoyed cover versions by the likes of Michael Buble featuring Nelly Furtado and it has also been performed by Tom Jones (it's a nice partnering with It's not unusual which is quite similar).  To be honest it's the horn section in the background that play the 'answer' sequences with Engelbert that make me smile.  The flutes and strings also play their part to add more tonal flavour to the song - all playing their distinctive motifs.

I guess you can always pursue someone if you understand the rules of engagement - of your little game of cat and mouse.  Unless the other person genuinely wants nothing to do with you - then it doesn't become a game anymore, it's unrequited love, unwanted attention and at its worst - just plain ol' stalking.

I hope that if you are still waiting for the love of your lifetime, that you are equipped to handle the waiting - that you are patient.
I hope that if you are willing to pursue someone - that you make your intentions clear - because it's hard to pursue someone who doesn't know that you feel that way about them, that you are chasing their affections (might save you some time too).
I hope that if you are being pursued - that however you feel about your chaser - that you treat them kindly.  Let them down easy or be the love of their lives.