Monday, 27 October 2014

Journey to the past. . .

I've written about Aaliyah before (search for "Try Again" in a previous blog post).  This track Journey to the past was the promotional song for the Disney animated movie Anastasia.

Heart don't fail me now
Courage don't desert me
Don't turn back now that we're here
People always say
Life is full of choices
No one ever mentions fear
Or how the road can seem so long
How the world can seem so vast
Courage see me through
Heart I'm trusting you
On this journey to the past. . .



The storyline of the movie is an adaptation (and takes creative licence) with the story of the Romanov family as told through the eyes of Anastasia - one of the Czar's daughters who escaped the tragic fate that befell the rest of her family.  The movie focuses on her "journey to her past" to uncover who she is and to be reunited with her family.

Somewhere down this road
I know someone's waiting
Years of dreams just can't be wrong
Arms will open wide
I'll be safe and wanted
Finally home where I belong
Starting here my life begins
Starting now I'm learning fast
Courage see me through
Heart I'm trusting you
On this journey to the past

If you are searching for your family because you were adopted out, lost contact with them or things were beyond your control to stay in touch, you weren't allowed to see them - it is a very natural desire to want to be reunited with family members to seek answers to your personal story - to try to understand why things happened.  I think about how when choices are taken out of your hands - what can you possibly rely on?  Where do you begin to start your journey to the past?  Who can you ask to provide those missing answers?

Heart don't fail me now
Courage don't desert me
Home, love, family
There was once a time I must have had them too
Home, love, family
I will never be complete until I find you

If you can't find the family you've been searching for, you may come across the sad reality that the people you are seeking to provide answers, have since departed this world/  How will you be complete again if you can't find them?  Did they leave other family members behind?  Did they have friends who could provide some answers?  Are there any clues, books, mementos, personal items left behind that could have to piece together the mystery of your past?

One step at a time
One hope, then another
Who knows where this road may go
Back to who I was
On to find my future
Things my heart still needs to know

I hope that you won't lost hope.
Sometimes finding answers in our past won't necessarily answers the questions to our present or help to pave the way for the future.  Whatever answers (or more questions) that you come across, I hope that you will continue to hold onto hope.
It is important to hold onto the hope for yourself - that you are able to move forward even if there are gaps in your past.  I hope that the answers that you do find will suffice to enable you to move forward and create new hope for your future than you can control, because you weren't given that opportunity with your past.
I believe that the things that you heart still needs to know will reveal themselves in their own time when you need to learn those lessons most of all.
I hope you find your home. wherever it may be.

Yes, let this be a sign
Let this world be mine
Let it lead me to my past
Courage see me through
Heart I'm trusting you
To bring me home
At last . . .