Saturday, 18 October 2014

A brand new life. . .

I grew up with so many American and British TV sitcoms.  One of my favourites was Who's the Boss? starring Tony Danza, Judith Light, Alyssa Milano, Danny Pintauro and the incomparable Katherine Helmond.  The show taught me a lot about when situations change in life, what you need to do when dreams don't come to fruition and how you can build a new life for yourself if you have the tenacity and sheer grit and determination to do so.

There's a time for love and a time for living
You take a chance and face the wind
An open road and a road that's hidden
A brand new life around the bend

I guess the challenge we face as humans (as opposed to aliens, but we'll save that for another post!) is how we can make the choices we need to make, sometimes even be forced to make because of situations that may be beyond our control.  Freak accidents. things that other people have done that have impacted on your life.  I think we can often struggle and agonise over the little things in life, you know, those minute to minute to decisions that can steal our focus away from the bigger picture of our lives.

I often think about how you can see your life as a movie trailer - where you can see all of the highlights and lowlights in your life in a 3 minute take.  I've taken to using iMovie trailers as part of my presentations for different conferences that I've presented at since last year - to students and educators in different sectors - and the response has been the same.  Everyone loves them.  It's not about the content that's within the movie trailers themselves -  but more to do with my willingness to share pieces of myself that I value to a wide audience.  I always make that little joke at the end of the trailer - "just so you know folks, you can'r rush out and buy tickets - it's not a real movie."


There were times, I lost a dream or two
Found the trail and at the end was you
There's a path you take and a path not taken
The choice is up to you my friend

I think it's important to understand that if things don't pan out the way you planned - that it happened for a reason.  I'm not a particularly old person, but I'm not a particularly old person either - so kind of in the middle of my life I think - with enough life experience to know the follies of my youth - but enough time (God willing) to know that I have some work yet to achieve in my 'brand new life.'
I honestly believe that every new discovery that you make about yourself contributes to new moments in your life - which may seem to you like you life actually is brand new.
I have been thinking a lot recently about paths I did not take and I'm content with the choices or situations that have lead me to exactly where I am right now - because it's exactly where I need to be.

Nights are long but you might awaken
To a brand new life, brand new life
A brand new life around the bend. . . 

I hope that when your nights are long, you awaken to the brand new life that you deserve.
The kind of life that makes you smile, keeps you inspired, keeps you invigorated and helps you to spread love and happiness to others.

Even though my nights are long, I understand that the weather during those nights will change from time to time, but I have the promise and hope of awakening to a new morning each time, with great expectations, with gratitude and a smile in my heart that I hope is mirrored in my eyes and my face :-)