Saturday, 20 September 2014

Skinny love. . .

Today's blog post is a song request for Lynda Miller from Brisbane, Australia

Bon Iver is a band and the brainchild of Justin Vernon.  Skinny love has enjoyed commercial success after initially being available free on iTunes before being picked up by popular TV series such as Chuck and Grey's Anatomy.  It was also covered by Birdy.

Hey there skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt, we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

I haven't heard of love being described as 'skinny' in many love songs before.
It conjures images of love being underfed, even to the point of being malnourished, I mean is it implying that skinny love can't be expected to live for long in the event that it might waste away?
Pouring salt over one's shoulder is meant to bring good luck.  Shaking a circle of salt around you is supposed to ward off vampires (or is that werewolves?) if you are a good witch.  But for the most part, we use salt (albeit too liberally at times) to make bland food taste good.
Does love get so skinny that it forces you to bleed and leave your body emaciated?

Tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Right in this moment this order's tall





And I told you to be patient 
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind

I can't help but wonder if the singer is referring to love here as the other person they are in love with, themselves, or the relationship itself.  I mean, it could work on all of these factors of interest.
I can't help but wonder whether there is an accusatory tone in the above lyrics.
The singer lists a paragraph of demands that seem to have not been met.

In the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different kind
I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines

Come on skinny love, what happened here?

Suckle on the hope like lite brassieres
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
Sullen load is full, so slow in the spit

Are you prepared for that morning?  The aftermath of the devastation of a relationship dissolving.
The end of a relationship, particularly if it has taken you to hell and back, can be extremely difficult. It can make you realise the nature of your love - what it really was all about - when the one you were in love with keeps penalising you for making it skinny perhaps?  For breaking the rules of the relationship and that's probably what caused love to be skinny in the first place - you didn't nurture it in the way that you promised.  It feels like it's unsaid words that begin to build like a huge load in your mouth and it makes it hard for you to spit it out.

And now your love is wasted
And then who the hell was I?
And I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines

Who will love you?

Who will fight?
Who will fall far behind?
Ooh ooh

I guess at the end of the day - we wnnt to have 'healthy' love,
Skinny love is ok, but in this context it implies that there it lacks the nourishment that healthy love would provide.

I hope that if you know that you're getting to a stage where you start to recognise the symptoms of being in 'skinny love', that you stop and take a moment to think.  Is this the kind of love that you signed up for?  Will skinny love make you happy?  Are you prepared to stay in a relationship receiving that skinny love knowing full well that you will always be the one holding the tickets when you are constantly being fined by someone who treats love like they are the authority figures, self-appointed to dish out punishment.

I just hope that you have someone that loves you and fighs for you, and doesn't let you fall far behind.