Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Fly me to the moon. . .


This blog post is a song request for Edmond Chan in Brisbane, Australia.

When I think about Frank Sinatra it's not hard to remember all of the classic movies that he starred in.
As one of the members of the classy Rat Pack with Dean Martin, Peter Lawford, Joey Bishop, Buddy Greco and the loveable Sammy Davis. Jr. - he was the epitome of cool, Mr. Swing.  He was the kind of guy that men wanted to be and women wanted to be with (cliche line I know, I couldn't help myself!).

This particular live performance in 1964 is a fantastic example of what jazz music is all about, that swing groove, the opportunity to hear some fantastic dialogue between the vocals and the band and the opportunity for Sinatra to showcase his vocal range through improvisation.

Fly me to the moon
And let me play up there with those stars
Let me see what life is like
On Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand
In other words, darling, kiss me

When I think about these lyrics, I think about how when you love someone deeply or the way that you love them gives you an intoxicating feeling, like it takes you out of this world (hence the reference to life on Jupiter and Mars).

The moon is often associated with love, an object that is also normally associated with a woman in historical references thanks to Greek and Roman mythology.  Notions of romance are have littered the literary pages of our favourite novels, short stories and print media with references to the moon.

Fill my heart with song
let me swing forever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore

In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

The reference to swing signals the musical style that was synonymous with Sinatra.
These lyrics make me smile because it makes me think about that level of duplicity that we play with potential partners - we have all of the fantastical imagery (yes I know fantastical isn't a word, I'm in one of those neologism moods today) in our minds and when push comes to shove - we can't articulate how we feel.  Is the effect that the moon has on us?  It makes us tongue-twisted, cross-eyed, it gives us two left feet (which is probably good for people who are left-handed because they are most likely more adept at having two left feet than the average right handed person).

(Instrumental interlude)

The instrumental interlude is an opportunity for listeners, the audience, to appreciate the musicianship of the band, to marvel at the arrangement of the score, how the different instruments interplay with each other.

In this live performance, it is obvious that you get a sense of how much of an entertainer Sinatra was, interacting with the band and connecting with the audience.

So are you going to tell someone how you feel about them?  I came across a rerun of "My Best Friend's Wedding" and Sinatra immediately sprung to mind again.  Julia Roberts' character gifts The way you look tonight to Dermot Mulroney's character to be used as the wedding waltz until the newlywed couple find their own song.  The misadventures of Julia's character in the film, paint a picture of all of the crazy things, knee-jerk reactions that we might have in an effort to hide how we feel.  I guess it depends on you feeling the fear of rejection and doing it anyway.

Fill my heart with song
let me swing forever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore

In other words, 
In other words, 
I love you

I hope that you live a life without regrets and have the courage to tell someone that you love them.
It doesn't matter if they don't reciprocate - it's better to tell them how you feel than risk going through the rest of your life, not knowing for sure.  I hope you find those "other words" soon.