Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Daughter. . .

The following blog post is a song request by Lynda Miller from Brisbane, Australia.

Loudon Wainwright has enjoyed a long career as a folk singer/songwriter and when he first broke onto the scene, he was even tipped to be the next Bob Dylan of his generation.  He has written many songs about his children.  Daughter reflects on a father's relationship with his daughter.

Everything she says 
She says she wants
Everything she wants
I see she gets

That's my daughter in the water 
everything she owns I bought her
Everything she owns
That's my daughter in the water
everything she knows I taught her
Everything she knows


Every father knows that when he has a little girl - she becomes "Daddy's little girl" just as much as every mother's son becomes a "Mama's boy".   The tenderness that a father shows his daughter is represented in the beginning of this song.  The father's love is clear in this verse, the need to provide everything that his daughter desires - it is a parent's natural instinct to give their children the best of everything in the world.  You can also sense the father's pride in his daughter.



Everything I say
she takes to heart
Everything she takes
she takes apart

That's my daughter in the water

every time she fell I caught her
Every time she fell
That's my daughter in the water
I lost every time I fought her
Yea, I lost every time

For daughters with fathers, there is always scope for fathers to say things that we daughters take to heart.  My own father regularly says things that make me laugh, make me cry, he does things that make me think and wonder why (gee that rhymed!).  The battle of wills as you get older is fun and part of growing up, because you're showing your father that not only are you starting to break in that backbone that you started developing when you first got to university or the school of hard knocks - whichever came first.  Maybe Dad lost those battles with you because it's what fathers do sometimes - to make you feel good about yourself, to teach you how a man should treat you when you meet one that you will compare to your father (or not).

Every time she blinks
she strikes somebody blind
Everything she thinks
blows her tiny mind

Striking somebody blind with your blinking takes some talent.
It means that you would've locked eyes with them then broken that eye contact with a blink, or some physical reaction that causes others to lose sight maybe of themselves - but never you.
It's probably why they tried to lock eyes with you in the first place, to get your attention, to be a part of your world, because now they see what your father has always seen in you.

That's my daughter in the water
who'd have ever thought her?
who'd have ever thought?