Thursday, 21 August 2014

You make my dreams come true. . .

What I want you've got
And it might be hard to handle
Like the flame that burns the candle
The candle feeds the flame yeah yeah

You will come across people in your life that will come to rely on you, for whatever reasons.
They might rely on you if they are family members, friends, work colleagues, students, neighbours, acquaintances, and disasters and emergencies in public - even strangers.

There will be sparks that fly when you have interactions with these people.
The sparks are a result of you having an impact on them and thereafter they require to keep in contact or close proximity to ensure that they continue to burn - because you have become the flame that has sparked the candle (those people) into action.  But of course once that happens, there is a reciprocity that ensues - the relationship becomes reciprocal, because in order for the flame to continue to burn, it must feed off the candle.

What I've gots full stock
Of thoughts and dreams that scatter
Then you pull them all together
And how I can't explain

In their deepest sincerity, these people will say things to you that will acknowledge exactly what it is that you do for them.  They struggle to articulate the thoughts and dreams in their mind - when they try to articulate it to the world, it doesn't make any sense.  You then start to pull these thoughts and dreams together - and this baffles the candle, because they never taught you their candle language, yet you understood perfectly - what their intentions are, where they would like to go but don't know how and when it might all even being for them - you have become an interpreter.

You speak fluent "candle burn" language.  You don't know how you learned it.
It happens at any given time when you talk to someone who lacks the vision to see.
It happens when you listen to someone and they don't know what signs to listen out for and what they need to hear in order to make some informed decisions.




I love the chorus of this song, the way in which the call and response manifests itself in the vocal banter between Hall and Oates.  The keys, electric guitar, bass and drums appeal to my sense of interlocking patterns: the texture of the guitar, the syncopated accents of the drums, the harmonies of the background vocals in the chorus.  It has nothing to do with the fact that this track has been focused on so many movie soundtracks it's not funny.  What is funny is seeing it during the wedding dress and cake shop scenes in The Wedding Singer with George trying on all of the dresses and the red headed woman waiting for her sample of wedding cakes with an open mouth.

On a night when bad dreams become a screamer
When they're messin' with the dreamer
I can laugh it in the face
Twist and shout my way out
And wrap yourself around me
'Cos I ain't the way you found me
And I'll never be the same

You might not know it - but you might mean the world to someone.
But you won't know that - until they tell you that :-)
They might have been those people who have "driven through a storm" to get to you and pulled you out of a situation that could have literally, ended your life.

I'm down on my daydream
Oh, that sleepwalk should be over by now
I know
Bout you
You make my dreams come true
I've waited, waited for you girl. . . 

So to all the candles out there, I hope that you tell those flames who mean the world to you, who have helped to shape the "best you" that you now are; go ahead and tell those flames who bring out your best, that they make your dreams come true.