Saturday, 23 August 2014

Uninvited. . .

Alanis Morissette is one of my favourite artists, especially as a singer/songwriter/co-writer and performer.  The way that she marries how she sings the lyrics with the decisions about the placements of the pitches attached to it, makes the interpretation of this song particularly interesting (to my ears anyway).  I've always been a sucker for melody.

Uninvited featured on the movie soundtrack City of Angels starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan.
There are so many great tracks associated with this movie and no doubt I will discuss them in later posts.

Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me
Like any hot-blooded woman
I have simply wanted an object to crave
But you, you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight. . . 

The piano signals a pendulum swinging in time.
In your time, have you ever had anyone fascinated with you?  Or have you been fascinated by someone?  Whether you have been on the giving or receiving of this fascination, it is a fairly high chance that you will agree, it's an intense experience.




Must be strangely exciting
To watch the stoic squirm
Must be somewhat heartening
To watch shepherd need shepherd
But you, you're not allowed
An unfortunate slight. . . 

The instrumental interlude has the timbral juxtaposition of orchestral strings and rock ensemble, which could symbolise the two figures in the song.  This interlude appears again at the end of the song.  I love the use of the tabla in the percussion section.  Its distinctive sound resonates quite well and adds a further dimension, especially in the interlude.  Her 2008 Brixton England performance I felt was dominated by the bass guitar.  I'm not saying that was a bad thing, it's a different thing.  With every live performance you feed off the energy of the band, the electricity of the crowd and incorporate that into your performance.

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before
But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

There seems to be some assumptions that are rising to the surface here.
It is unclear why this fascination is not allowed, as you've been uninvited.
This seems funny to me, because if you're uninvited, it suggests that you must've been invited initially, and then someone's mind has changed - so you are now uninvited.  Is this some sort of mixed signals happening here?  Has someone been indecisive with you and not been completely honest about their intentions?  Why do people even assume that your love will be like all the others they have experienced?  Your love could be the love to last the ages.  It could transcend time and space.

It could be the love of their lifetime.

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate . . .