Tuesday, 19 August 2014

The impossible dream . . .

Some of my greatest memories of music making, growing up, was singing in my high school choir.
I attended an all-girls high school, a public school in Auckland's urban inner city where girls travelled from the four corners of the city to attend.  (Yes school pride is still there ha!)

One of the many songs that I remember singing was The Impossible Dream from The Man of La Mancha, music by Mitch Leigh, lyrics by Joe Darion.  There have been many cover versions of this song but my favourite rendition is by Luther Vandross 



To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

If I reflect on my journey in life so far, if someone had told me 10 years all of the achievements I would have made, I wouldn't have believed them.  There have been many impossible dreams that I dreamed that have become a reality, and I have been truly thankful.   There have been many unbeatable foes that I have fought - and beaten, and I have been truly thankful.  I have had to bear with so much unbearable sorrow, this current month alone has been horrendous, the past year has been a definitive year of sorrow for me, and I have been truly thankful.  I have had to run where even the bravest people don't dare go - and gone there anyway to remind said brave people, that even the seemingly cowardly ones can go.

Righting unrightable wrongs is becoming more of a superpower but on a daily basis.
Loving pure and chaste from afar is something that you will always do - and you will probably laugh about when you did that more often as a youngster, when you trying to weigh up the options whether to pluck up the courage to turn that 'afar' into 'a-near'.  
The thing about weary arms, all you need is a good massage to fix those aching arms, stretching out those pangs of pain before you can use them again.  Maybe it might even help if you linked arms with other people to share the load, or why not lighten the load so your arms won't get as weary as often.  
This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

My last blog post looked at the same concept of a quest - and here we see it again with this song.
Normally when people see that something is not worth pursuing, they desert it like rats on a sinking ship.  Do you notice that not very many people have the stamina or the "stickability" anymore?
It's much easier to dissuade you from doing what you dare, even when it's such a humungous dream that people think you're crazy to pursue, they make snap judgements or think about themselves in your situation and can't even fathom doing what you're doing.  It sometimes seems like that "too hard" basket gets bigger and bigger on people's workstations, desks, cubicles, construction sites, shelves, window sills, work vehicles, operating tables, board rooms.

What is your heavenly cause?
I'm not necessarily talking about religion here.
I'm referring to - that one cause that you would be willing to march into hell for - even after in your time, you've told some people that you don't like, that they should go there.
Having high standards and high expectations like that - to be unrelenting and uncompromising - sticking to your guns and not backing down - how liberating is that?

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star. . . 

Surely this then is the purpose of life.
Your glorious quest is that thing that you embark on during your lifetime until it's time for you to rest.

Forget the futility and hopelessness.
Embrace your inner strength, your steely determination to accomplish it all by keeping your eyes on the prize.  There is nothing more satisfying than trying to achieve your glorious quest.

I can't wait to see yours.
I can't wait to see you reach your unreachable star :-)