Friday, 1 August 2014

Sailing. . .

Well it's not far down to paradise, at least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you sail away, find tranquility
Oh, the canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see
Believe me. . . 

Dear Vine,

I imagine that paradise is close for you rather than for me today.
I imagine that you're there right now - what does it look like?  How does it feel?
I can't wait to be absorbed in the sights, sounds and smells that you are experiencing.
I can't even imagine what your senses are like now - do you have more than five?
Way more than six?




It's not far to never-never land, no reason to pretend

And if the wind is right you can find the joy of innocence again 

I wanted to thank you for teaching me about strength.
Sometimes the strength of a woman is not in what she does - but in what she doesn't.
There have been many scenarios where I think I would have acted differently from how you acted - and now in retrospect, I understand.  I understand why you did what you did, what circumstances you were in and why you acted the way you did, and how you must have raged against the world in spite of it.

Your quiet, humble and diligent manner belied a witty, fiery and passionate woman.
I'm glad that I got to see glimpses of that when we had conversations.
You always encouraged me to do well in whatever I was doing, especially if it was to improve myself as you saw that as a way for me to be the kind of aunt that you wanted for your kids.

When we were at high school together, I remember admiring you from afar.
It was my first year at high school - you were in your senior year.
We had to wear school uniform - you wore mufti.
We would catch each other sometimes in the corridors around the school.
I would call out an overly enthusiastic "HIIIIII" while you smiled back and waved hello.

We did not have many opportunities to speak and spend time together - but the times that we did, they were good time.  I especially liked the times when we were united and staunch about something we were completely in alliance with - like your son's education - talking about leadership, the mantle of responsibility, the dreams and hopes for our collective futures.

Well it's not far back to sanity, at least it's not for me
And if the wind is right  you can sail away and find serenity

You were a poet, a wordsmith.
Not many people will know you would've been a warrior of the written word.
Your poetry featuring in the school magazine in your senior year of high school - was an example of this talent.

But it will be your stillness that I will miss most.

You have taught me great lessons in stillness.
In private reflection, in meditation and the enjoyment of isolation.

Thank you for being in my life.
Thank you for my niece and nephew.
I will continue to love them as my own.

I find comfort in the knowledge that you are at peace - no more pain.
I'll see you when I get there.

Thanks for being a great sister in law, a kind and loving mother.
Thank you for being the love of my brother's life.

Rest in peace Vine.

"My peace I give unto you, it's a peace that the world cannot give.
It's a peace that the world cannot understand.
Peace to know, peace to live, my peace I give unto you."

Sailing, takes me away to where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free. . .