Sunday, 17 August 2014

Ordinary human. . .

Ordinary human by One Republic is a recent release (as of last month) and features on the film The Giver.  I know I write about songs that I associate with my childhood or from films that I enjoy - this is one of those songs.  Ryan Tedder who is the frontman for the band wrote this song for the film.

Most of the songs that I like - need to hook me in from at least the first 10 seconds - otherwise it won't intrigue me enough to want to listen to the rest of the track.  Sometimes it will be the song lyrics that will speak to me - it could be a particular verse or the chorus.  This song has both of those features that tick my boxes for wanting to hear more of the song.  The pseudo-heartbeat nabs me in the opening bars.



Today I took a walk in the clouds
Today I took a walk in the clouds
Used to keep my eyes wide shut, but now I'm staring down

Today I felt a switch in my vein
Today I felt a switch in my vein
Used to be a shadow now
A shadow scream my name
And in the daylight I could swear
We're the same

Do you feel this way sometimes? When there's something that lies within you that you can't quite recognise, but it bubbles just beneath the surface.  The only time that you might know what it is - is when something happens that triggers it (no, not like it's your inner Hulk, but something that you know is transformational inside of you that's on some sort of time release, like it's attached to some inner clock inside you that will go off without you knowing).

But I'm just an ordinary human (ordinary ways)
I'm just an ordinary human
But I don't feel so ordinary today
I'm just a picture perfect nothing
Sometimes I medicate
I'll be a picture perfect human
Before the sun goes down today

This is what I'm talking about. You're going about your day as normal, minding your own business, doing what you normally do and then you no longer feel ordinary.  What happened?  Were you abducted by aliens?  Did you have some kind of eureka moment?  Has something that you wanted the answer to for so long - finally arrived?  Like you've finally solved the inner mysteries of your own mind, unlocked your true potential, figured out your divine purpose, you've moved from being an ordinary human to being a picture perfect human.  What does that even look like?  I bet it's fun to find out.

There'll be peace in the city tonight
Peace in the city tonight
But when I'm gone 
I hope they'll get it right
There'll be peace in the city tonight
Peace in the city tonight
For when I'm gone 
I hope they get it right

I often wonder when people die and leave this earth, whether their last thoughts are about - the rest of us not stuffing up what they had put in place.  I wonder if they hope that we will get things right now that they have gone.  Because I think it's important for us to at least consider - and start talking about now with our nearest and dearest - because we never know when we are going to go - what do you hope that they will get right?  What do you want your friends and family to do to honour your memory so that when they do that particular thing - they will be comforted by knowing that it makes you happy - and it should give them peace?

In any way that you can - I hope that you can provide peace in your city tonight.
In your own small way.
With whomever you come into contact with.
We can't have peace in our cities tonight - unless we make it a priority.

In any way that you can - I hope that you can contribute to providing peace in your city tonight.
Because in the daylight I could swear we are the same.