Thursday, 21 August 2014

It's not easy being green. . .

The Muppet Show was a huge part of my childhood.  I loved watching it every Saturday morning, it was a part of the weekend routine, even when its junior version The Muppet Babies would feature during after school programming.  There were a lot of memorable songs, artists and musicians that featured on the show.  My all-time favourite is Bein' Green as sung by Kermit The Frog (Jim Henson).

It's not easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

Everybody has those days.
Those days when you doubt the purpose of your existence.
There might even be days where you think that the way that you feel, is because of the colour of your skin.  You might even think that life could be easier for you, if your skin was a different colour.
Would a different skin colour make you a more colourful person?
I guess it depended on what colour you wanted to be?
Would you think that defining yourself as a colour is a useful measure of your self-worth?

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 
'Cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

You don't feel that being green is anything special, because you're just like everything else that is simple and not worthy of any particular attention.  There are other people who stand out more than you, are probably more driven than you to be successful in their chosen fields and it's because of the colour of your skin, that might be what is holding you back from achieving the same levels of success.




But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like a mountain
Or important like a river or tall like a tree 

But do you remember all of the good stuff that comes with being green?
There are other positive examples of bein' green that already exist.
There are other examples of people with the same skin colour as you, who have achieved superhuman feats and made a difference to the world with their inventions and discoveries that benefit mankind.
You can look to those people for inspiration.  If they can surely do it, then you can too.
There is nothing than cannot be achieved without sheer grit and determination.
You can shape, craft and embody whatever qualities you want.
You can be cool, friendly-like, big, important and tall.  I think it's more of a sense that you want the world to perceive you that way too.  So what are you going to do about it?  How are you going to make people sit up and take notice of your cool, friendly-like, big, important and tall self?

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why
But why wonder, why wonder?
I'm green and it'll do fine
It's beautiful! 
And I think it's what I want to be

I think that whatever colour skin you have, the one that you are born with - it doesn't dictate who you are going to be, how you are meant to behave and the negative assumptions or stereotypes that are associated with your skin colour.

When I reflect  on the significance of this song for myself,  I think beyond the "I'm green and it'll do fine".  I think about "I'm green and it's mine".  I will own who I am.  I will be the best example of the colour of my skin that I can be - not because I want the world to see me that way, but because I think that the world won't have come across people like me before, the world hasn't seen the likes of me - a cool, friendly-like, big, important and tall brown woman.

It's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be. . .