Monday, 25 August 2014

I believe I can fly. . .


I love the orchestral opening in I believe I can fly. It's every music teacher's dream for introducing the instruments of the orchestra to a reluctant class of teenagers.  I mean think about it.  There aren't many contemporary artists who use orchestral instruments in their music.  This was a very clever ploy to use in this song.  I personally believe that the epic nature of the lyrics made R Kelly think about the instrumentation and how he wanted to colour the song with more than just electronic instruments.
My favourite part is the glissando of the harp before the lyrics begin.

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

How bad would that be?  That would quite possibly be my idea of hell - the soundtrack of my life - an awful song stuck on repeat.  How would you snap out of that? How could you stop that awful song from being that broken record?  Believing in a higher power, holding onto hope would be one way of getting yourself out of that rut, that groundhog day of an existence.  Because you start to make some decisions about how to live your best life, you're only existing up to that point.

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me

I am a firm believer in the power of visualisation, having a vision, having a purpose.
There is also no stronger belief in you than self-belief.  But in order to have such strong self-belief we need to have it fostered and nurtured within us by people around us who believe in us first.  

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

The key change in the prechorus signals the entry of the choir and the foreshadowing of a climax.
There's something grandiose about a full chorus of singers and harmonies. It is extremely useful in providing musical variation, especially when using call and response and also to sustain the repetition of the melody while the lead vocalist can improvise over the top.

I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door,
I believe I can fly,  I believe I can fly, I believe I can fly

It's important to keep 'flying' everyday.
Can you imagine the different ways of flying styles, savouring each moment that you have in the air - soaring above the clouds and not being afraid to spread your wings.

Cos I believe in you. . .