Sunday, 3 August 2014

I am titaaaaaaniuuuuuuuum . . .

Titanium by David Guetta featuring Sia is one of my favourite songs to thrash around, hype myself up.  It's an instant pick-me-up when I'm not in a happy space.  The power of music to move is one of the best things that I like, no, LOVE about music.  This song is great in that it showcases the dynamics easily with the subtle build up with the elements in the verses, before the rhythm picks up and that bass drops in the chorus.

You shout it out
But I can't hear a word you say
I'm talking loud not saying much
I'm criticized
But all your bullets ricochet
Shoot me down, but I get up




It's my birthday today and the things that come with another year added to your life - is the maturity (well hopefully!).  I am thankful to celebrate another year and in spite of all the tragedy, I am blessed.  So much has happened since last year - the personal growth has been phenomenal and I am ready for what the world has to offer.  I have probably developed more patience, don't rise to drama too quickly and pick my battles.  I can reveal or conceal just as easily.  Funny thing about knowing yourself more and being comfortable with who you are - because it means you can challenge yourself to discover even more about yourself.

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet you take your aim

I have accepted that my parents have had a lot to do with my upbringing and my values.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  The things they have taught me intentionally and unintentionally - have helped to shape who I am.  They have taught me to be resilient, to stand up for myself and stand up for what is right for others.  I've had a few ricochet moments.  They were a bit scary at first, but once you survive your first round of bullets and it dawns on you that you are bulletproof, you soon crave that adrenalin rush again - but of course, you don't go around poking people either.  Just be prepared for those ricochet moments.  The funny thing about ricochet moments - the shooter almost always has it backfire on themselves anyway!

Cut me down 
But it's you who will have further to fall
Ghost town and haunted love

Of course when your shooter is someone who is super bitter and doesn't quite understand what the word "no" means - especially when it comes to matters of the heart - then you have to employ better strategies to do some ricocheting of your own!  I had a funny thought the other day - when you mojo is on without your permission (or you didn't even know your mojo had other modes - like automatic - or autopilot *good grief*).

Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones
I'm talking loud not saying much 

Ah. . .  when the shooting gets ugly and then it becomes public humiliation.
Be careful of associating with people like this.  When you're an adult you might think you have this locked and you're sorted.  But it can be hard sometimes to navigate those shark-infested social gathering circles - you might not know the rules of engagement, you're new to the scene and nobody has told you the rules, or you've never been much of a social butterfly to start with.  Talking loud and not saying much is a good start.  But quiet observation works too.

You shoot me down, But I won't fall
I am titanium
You shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium. . .

Have fun in your life, don't take things too seriously (unless it's required).
Learn to laugh at yourself first - before laughing with others, rather than at them (unless that's their intention).  I hope you feel like titanium today.  It's good to feel invincible every now and then :-)