Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Walk in my shoes . . .

 I just want to live my life
'Cos I wanna and I needed to
So don't be tryna steal my light
'Cos you don't know me, don't pretend to

Those pesky light stealers strike again!  You know the drill - the ones who take credit for all of the hard work and creativity and thought you put in.  It's human nature I guess.  There are those who are creators and those who are haters (haha).  The public face of pretending to know you and privately other things go on.

Sometimes I feel like the world is after me
Tryna get to me, tryna stop what I do
'Cos I'm the only one who looks out for me
Can be me and walk in my shoes

I wouldn't be so paranoid,  Even if the world is after you - just be prepared.  I wouldn't go so far as to keep looking over your shoulder, but have some plans in place so that if or when they try to you get you, or stop what you do - get them first, pre-empt what they will do.  So much emphasis on tactical manoeuvres and modus operandi - it becomes so intertwined that it's hard to tell the difference between what is genuine and what isn't.

Everyday there's somethin' that's new to me
I just gotta breathe, I don't know about you
But I'm the only one that looks out for me
Can be me and walk in my shoes

I totally agree with you.  Nobody can do you better than you.  
I wonder though, whether it would be a good idea to take off your shoes and let someone else at least attempt to try them on.

It ain't easy being Emily no,
But I don't wanna change my name
'Cos I ain't got to, I don't need to

I wouldn't change my name either.  There's something to be said about your name - the deeper meaning behind it, where it was gifted to you from and whether you would live up to someone's reputation if you're their namesake.  Conformity is designed to make you think that you are less than what you are - but don't go changing to please anybody (Billy Joel agrees with me on that one too).

See everyone's got their own problems
That they're goin through
I take it day by day, that's the only thing I can do
So I live for me, and you live for you
But you can't be me unless you walked in my shoes

Everybody hurts according to REM,  Everybody has their own private pain.
It's not a competition to see who is hurting the most and deserves the most sympathy.
But it is about understanding each other and spending time with each other to get to know what makes people unique, yet similar.  The universal truth is that we are all the same.  We see a shift here in the lyrics from earlier in the song where nobody else could walk in your shoes to - well - unless someone walked in your shoes - only then can they be you.

I hear you trying on the shoes now and trying to walk in them.
The steady tap tapping of your footsteps on the pavement. . .

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk
Walk in my shoes,
Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk,
Walk in my shoes
You gon' do you and I'ma do me. . .