Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Songbird. . .

Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac wrote the beautiful Songbird.  It has been covered by Willie Nelson, Eva Cassidy (one of my favourite renditions with her honey-like voice) and Sol3 Mio amongst others.  It is very poignant - thinking about Eva Cassidy and her rendition, only because she passed away in 1996.  Her posthumously-released album enjoyed critical acclaim and success.  The Sol3 Mio version is featured on their album which debuted at number one on the New Zealand music charts, surpassing Lorde's Pure Heroine.

This song sounds like a love letter from beyond the grave.

For you, there'll be no more crying.
For you, the sun will be shining.
And I feel that when I'm with you,
It's alright, I know it's right.

"No more crying.  You'll ruin your makeup. If you miss me just a little, take comfort and know that I'm only a conversation away.  You can always talk to me, I'm everywhere you are, so don't feel that you can't say anything to me.  It hasn't stopped you before!  When you feel the sun shining, that's me smiling at you, so let the sun's rays warm your face from to time.  It's always best when you close your eyes and look up - you get the full effect that way."

To you, I'll give the world.
To you, I'll never be cold.
'Cause I feel that when I'm with you,
It's alright, I know it's right.

"Even though I'm gone, don't stop living.  There is so much of the world for you to see and do things that will help others.  I know how much you like helping people and doing things that make a difference in the world.  You know all those times that I used to tease you about, I was secretly quite proud of you.  I hope you can feel that.  I'm not meant to be following you around often though - you're supposed to figure things out for yourself."

And the songbirds are singing, like they know the score.
And I love you, I love you, I love you, like never before.

"Every time you hear birds chirping, that's just me whistling at you.  Those birds will sing because they understand how important music is to you - so they'll sing every time you are near - I've given them the melody.  If they sing altogether, they're just jamming because they're reading off the chord chart."

And I wish you all the love in the world.
But most of all, I wish it from myself.

"I just want you to be happy.  You always looked beautiful when you were happy, so never stop being happy.  In those times when you're lonely and almost ready to give up - keep at it.  There are a lot of people counting on you to not only do right by them, but it's your destiny.  This is why you were born.  You know I would've loved to have been there to share in this journey with you, but it isn't my journey to travel.  Only yours alone.  Don't worry though, I'm cheering for you on this end."

"You will always be loved.  You will feel it from me and everyone else who has left this world.  You are loved by those that you are with.  You are also loved by those who live in faraway places, so don't be discouraged.  There's that saying that you like - you mean the world to someone - I can tell you that's true, even when you don't hear it, it's true.  You don't know how much other people are thinking about you.  Those powerful, positive feelings, far outweigh the negative thoughts that you think people carry.  Water off a duck's back. . . water off a duck's back."  

And the songbirds keep singing, like they know the score
And I love you, I love you, I love you
Like never before, like never before, like never before. . .