Friday, 11 July 2014

I think I'll try. . . defying gravity. . .

If you're like me, you're a huge fan of musicals.  Something about the drama, adventure and fantasy world that you can lose yourself in - not to escape your reality (that's way too easy), but maybe to inspire you to apply those dreams in your own world.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap

Defying Gravity as sung by Idina Menzel from the musical Wicked allows you to gain some insight into the turning point, that pivotal moment when the witch becomes "wicked", because she finally realises what she wants (or how she reacts to what life has dealt her - depends on how you look at it really).  I find it tragic that if we were to apply this to the real world, if a woman makes the decision to forego love in favour of a life lead by her own whims and desires (own choices and freedom basically) then it makes her "evil".  Makes you wonder sometimes. . .

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try 
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down

Having the courage to try something new, more than new, taking a life time risk that you know once you would master or that it would take you to the destiny that awaits you - then you really would be defying gravity.  Imagine that state of elation and pure overwhelming sense of achievement when you do that? When you get to that level - when your wildest dream has come true, because you dared to dream it, made plans to reach it - even when those nearest and dearest to you - may not have supported you or realised the merit in the growth that you would master and manage - as a way to approach life for yourself, from now on.

I'm through accepting limits
'cause someone says they're so 
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!

There have been times when I've settled for less or not agitated for change because someone else has said:
"it can't be done"
"it's too hard"
"we don't have the time, energy, space or resources"
"that's not a priority"

Enough already - limits are meant to be stretched, if not broken.
We get so bogged down in trying to define something so that it makes us sleep better at night because we can compartmentalise our lives into neat tidy storage units.  Reality check - life isn't like that.
Until you try something, you'll never know if you can be the change or not.

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo 
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am 
Defying gravity 
I'm flying high
Defying gravity. . .

Wherever you are in your life - I hope I find you defying gravity in the western sky :-)