Friday, 18 July 2014

Colorblind. . .

Are we so different? Or are we the same?
Is it what we feel inside?
They say it's not ignorance
But when will it change?
Do we see in black and white?

Skin colour has always been a bone of contention through the ages, racial discrimination based on colour - it's really been based on people not understanding and valuing the unique identities, languages and cultures that accompany that skin colour that is different to their own (such a long sentence with no grammar means that I'm quite passionate about something!)

With the recent headlines in Aotearoa with racial profiling, especially in this day and age, it is still really disheartening.  Emily King's Colorblind springs to mind when I reflect on the events of the past week.  The strange thing is, I can recall incidents of racial profiling, experiencing it in different stages of my life.  It is not a nice experience and you do come away from it feeling worthless and humiliated, a second class citizen and second guessing if you are even allowed to live the freedoms that seem to only be afforded in the host society that your parents migrated to (excuse the lack of grammar and punctuation again).

And then one day it spoke to me
And said, "Use me to release what's on your mind"
Now I'm singin

It has always been a comfort to have music as a release, to use it as a creative yet therapeutic process to bring you back to a centre of focus.  It gives you a voice to speak and articulate how you feel about situations, about moments that polarise you and how you cope with these situations and moments that set you into motion (or not).

Using music for me, listening to it, making it, appreciating the intricacies of it, and using it to allow me to transport myself and lose myself in the music has been and always be - the safest place to be,

It happens everyday
Don't want to complicate 
These colors in my pictures I just find
See my view in life is different
Now I know and I can live it
But these questions must be answered all the time 

I often struggle to justify or rationalise at times why I do the things that I do that are part of my cultural values, belief systems and ways of being.  I struggle not because it is a burden to justify or rationalise - but because I continually have to do so.  

How excruciatingly frustrating it is to have to continue to explain why things are the way they are for my people because that is the way that is has been for my people since I have been taught them.  I now even think that the length of my sentences in my blog post reflect how long I feel that I have had to justify and rationalise this - my entire life it seems, and it will most likely continue to be so.

But I take comfort.  I must learn to be colorblind if only to show that I love all people the same.

Now I know and I can live it
But these questions must be answered all the time. . .