Wednesday, 2 July 2014

But I always thought that I'd see you again. . .

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again. . .

Fire and Rain by James Taylor speaks to me about the idea that your life is made up of extreme almost bi-polar moments, that dichotomy of life and the uncertainty about never knowing how long a good thing will last, or how brief a tragedy will rush past you.  Fire and rain are duplicitous and can be both good and bad depending on how you use fire and rain, or how you handle fire and rain in whatever situation you are in.  I take the "you" in the song to not mean a physical person - but the "you" meaning something familiar, it could be your familiar known, your security blanket if you will about that safe happy place that you cocoon yourself in - so that when those sunny days that you thought would never end, you can generate your own warmth, or at least trap the heat from those sunny days somehow so that the warmth can last just that little bit longer.

Won't you look down upon me Jesus
You've got to help me make a stand
You've just got to see me through another day
My body's aching and my time is at hand
And I won't make it any other way

Those moments in your life when you get beaten down often enough that the wind has been knocked out of your sails, that you start to think - do I have enough resilience left in me to get up and keep on keeping on?  If our mere mortal selves can't take the pressure that the world seems to dish out to us - then superhuman, supernatural, divine beings must be the source of regeneration, resurgence and revival that we need to survive.  This is what is suggested to me with the reference to the aching body and knowing that the time has come where you need to make a decision - if all else fails, Jesus won't (or whoever or whatever you subscribe to).

Been walking my mind to an easy time my back turned toward the sun
Lord know when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things to come
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

When you get to talk things through over the telephone line with a friend who is able to help you make sense of your life -they can help to make those dreams sweet again, and put back together those flying machines that have been shattered into pieces on the ground - regroup, redefine, re-establish what you need to do, the tools that you need to possess and the process you need to undertake to walk your mind to an easy time - this suggests to me that it's all in your mind - shift your mindset and the world is yours.

Thought I'd see you one more time again
There's just a few more things coming my way this time around, now
Thought I'd see you, thought I'd see you fire and rain, now

Whatever comes your way, make sure you know how to handle the fire and rain.
Don't extinguish your own fire and don't forget to dance in the rain -
That way you will always see fire and rain :-)