Thursday, 12 June 2014

No time for moping around, are you kidding?

And no time for negative vibes, cos I'm winning. . .

Just Fine by Mary J. Blige is one of my favourite dance songs.
It has that contagious uplifting element to it, that makes you want to dance (or at least shoulder-dance while you're working on the computer, it's definitely one of those you can crank up full blast while you're cleaning up around the house whilst lip synching lol).

I've never been one to work quietly, I need to have music playing to keep my body moving while my brain is moving at the same time.  I remember sitting in a cafeteria when I first started studying at university and enjoying listening to the music blaring from the jukebox while writing essays by hand (yes by hand, how quickly those days have gone!)

Got my head on straight, I got my mind right
I ain't gonna let you kill it
You see I wouldn't change my life, my life's just 
Fine fine fine fine fine fine ooh! . . .

It is very easy to be distracted by things, people and activities that block you from reaching your goals.
The power that people have over you is because you allow them to have it.

The bridge of the song provides some more melodic focus to the song as Mary performs some prolific vocal gymnastics:
I ain't gonna let nothing get in my way
No matter what nobody has to say. . .

It's not about standing on people to get what you want, it's about maintaining that focus to achieve your goals - you don't need to stand on people if your focus is the goal.

It's been a long week, I put in my hardest
Gonna live my life, feels so good to get it right

If you're workaholic, I hope you play just as hard.
I'm a huge believer in working hard and playing hard.
At times we will veer off the beaten track, well it's a beaten track because so many people are on it, running the same rat race in life that you are.  But it's important that you find that space to allow your equilibrium to be stored.

The late Mrs Barlow, my old Classical Studies and Latin teacher talked alot about Juvenal's mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body.  I've recently rediscovered this part of my life again.
I think Mrs Barlow would be happy to know I paid so much attention to her life lessons in class.

And no time for negative vibes, cos I'm winning. . .