Saturday, 7 June 2014

I walk with dignity, I step with pride. . .

We will go through life spurred on by what motivates us and what drives ua.  We will totally be dependent on what we love to do and who we are with.  Des'ree sings about love in a positive light in this song I Ain't Movin, as a way to focus on loving yourself first, so that you can love others.

Love is my passion
Love is my friend
Love is universal
Love never ends

The challenges we face in life may be reactions to situations that we find ourselves in.  It's funny when I think about the way that we react - because when we are upset, angry (when we embody the negative emotions really) it happens quickly, escalates faster than the more positive emotions and often at the speed of light sometimes, especially in the heat of the moment when harsh words are exchanged - accidentally, unwittingly or on purpose.

Then why am I faced with so much anger, so much pain?
Why should I hide?  Why should I be ashamed?
Time is much too short to be living somebody else's life
I walk with dignity, I step with pride

I'm definitely not a huge fan of living somebody else's life.
There's a difference between living up to someone's high expectations and then living their life for them because of missed opportunities (or it's the destiny that people always assumed that you would follow, the huge shoes that you are expected to fill).  The need to hide and being ashamed in the above lyrics signal that it may be hard to extricate or divorce yourself from that state of living somebody's else's life.
When we are ready to move, shift from what holds us back and keeps us pigeonholed, it is only then that we will truly be living our own lives, holding ourselves to our own high expectations.

Cos I ain't movin' from my face
From my race, from my history
I ain't movin' from my love, my peaceful dove
Means too much to me

I can interpret the above lyrics two ways.
1) From a cultural lens, being able to look at yourself in the mirror, be proud of where your physical features come from (ethnically speaking) and being able to live in your contentment of who you are.
2) From a personal lens, being able to look at yourself in the mirror, being able to trace the lines on your face from the years of living that you've endured, survived or cherished.

Loving self can be so hard
Honesty can be demanding
Learn to love yourself, 
It's a great great feeling

Self-loathing isn't healthy. Being made to feel guilty for situations that have arisen through no fault of your own, brush that off.  It is much more important to feel good about you, as I've said in previous posts, only YOU can do you the best.

I ain't movin', I've been here long before
I ain't movin', cos I want more
I ain't movin', got my feet on the ground
As far as I'm concerned, love should win the rounds . . .


Moral of the story, I can critically reflect on all experiences as life lessons and whatever pain that has been felt, has been a necessary part of building my character.  But more importantly, it has made me more appreciative of the life I am in anticipation of living (and currently enjoy), because I walk with dignity, I step with pride. . .