Friday, 20 June 2014

Everybody wants to rule the world . . .

It's early days yet in Aotearoa, but we are in election year.

There was a lovely Polish proverb that a colleague shared with me (it was translated into English) that talks about how when people try to drag you into their world of problems, just repeat to yourself "Not my circus, not my monkeys".  If you're a reader from Poland, I would love to know what the Polish proverb sounds like!

Welcome to your life; there's no turning back
Even while we sleep we will find
You acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on mother nature
Everybody wants to rule the world 

Tears for Fears
and this iconic 1980s classic Everybody wants to rule the world immediately brought Simon Bridges to mind and his latest conservation nightmare with the Maui dolphins, when I saw the line turn your back on mother nature.  The life of a politician must be an extremely difficult one.  There is rarely any praise that is afforded to you because it's much more interesting to hear what you haven't done (broken promises, or broken election promises - check this in October) and if you have done something well, you can probably expect to congratulate yourself in the mirror without any pomp and circumstance.

It's my own desire, it's my own remorse
Help me to decide, Help me make the most

I sometimes wonder if world leaders think about what they do when they lead their nations.  Do they really make decisions that really benefit their people?  I think about the above lines and depending on which side of the fence you're watching from (left - centre left - centre right - right - or completely underneath or completely over the top - if we are to believe the headlines in the newspapers, if they are anything to go by); your perspective informs your actions.  Of course - that's a total given.  Tell us something new.  But this is why I love this song.  If I take just the top lines into account - the common word in all of those lines is "my" and "me".

Help me to decide, Help me make the most
Of freedom and of pleasure
Nothing ever lasts forever

The wistfulness is belied by the final set of lyrics below that I think sums up the current climate in Aotearoa about who to vote for in the upcoming election.  The sheer frustration of voters about what tomorrow brings, because of scary decisions that need to be made today.

I can't stand this indecision
Married with a lack of vision
Everybody wants to rule the world.