Friday, 16 May 2014

There is no love lost. . .

I first came across The Mint Chicks when they performed for the New Zealand Music Awards in 2007, which was also the year they won Best Album for Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! and a screed of other awards. They have since released a new album F*** the Golden Youth which takes a look at the generational gap between our parents and the young of today, blaming the older generation for not setting things up nicely for us (or future generations).  One major thing that comes to mind when I think about this sense of blaming is the state of tertiary fees.  I remember walking down Queen Street one day with varsity friends and I came across a homeless man with a sign that read: "Those in political power went to university in 1985 and only paid $125 in fees.  Those who went to university in the 1960s didn't pay fees at all".  I remember giving the man some money and walking away thinking, gees, that's not fair. I guess we only know what we know - or we don't know what we don't know.

The Mint Chicks have an amazing drummer Paul Roper, and the way that he plays is one of the major reasons that attracted me to the band.  This song speaks about friendship and it makes me smile and chuckle to myself, as it reminds me of my "high school" mentality - I even wrote my own song at the time called "True Friends" when the friends I had relied on at the time - had let me down.  The sentiments expressed in that song is nowhere near the intensity of this song.

We destroyed the end of something new
Don't know what to do
Besides sniffing glue

The lyrics seem to suggest that sniffing glue is a better alternative or more constructive use of time, after the destruction of the friendship.  To escape the pain or is the numbness much easier to bear after the destruction?  Although, there is acknowledgement of we destroyed something new - rather than pinning it solely on the not-my-friend-anymore figure.  This negative vein of the song continues with the following lyrics:

We decide exactly who we are
Crashing in a car
With our skulls ajar 

If anything the first lines of each of these verses at least tell us something about the story, juxtaposed against the more graphic images of pain. The impending destiny associated with we decide exactly who we are - which could be interpreted that because we decide our nature, disposition, temperament and demeanour, how we think and feel around others, will dictate how we act around them.

I just thought I'd ring to tell you
I'm not taking sides on this one
It's really quite relieving
I know who my real friends are
I just thought I'd ring to tell you
I'm not taking sides on this one
There is no love lost

There is a particular line in the chorus for me which I carry into my adulthood (yes, maturity in attitude with age is the hope) - I know who my real friends are.

There is an old email forward that circulated some years ago about friends being there for reasons and seasons.  To all my seasonal and reasonable friends (yes the reasonable friends tend to stick around longer because they're the ones that can weather all four seasons!), thank you for being in my life - however short or long - it's the time we spend together that is most important.