Friday, 30 May 2014

Gonna set your soul on fire. . .

Welcome to the end of New Zealand Music Month for 2014, well, on this blog anyway :-)

Our final letter of the alphabet sits with Zed with their most famous single Renegade Fighter.

Can I walk here beside you, can I speak your name
Can I just be here
Can I speak in anger, can I speak in shame 
Can I just be here

The beginning of each line asks for permission (well it depends on how you look at it, as asking for permission denotes the use of 'may' and we know that you can physically do anything, unless you have physical restrictions, in the context of this song anyway, to walk or speak - in anger or shame) and it at least suggests that you need to give yourself permission to do something you want, to do anything.  The line that speaks the most to me is Can I just be here.  Even though there is no question mark, it seems to me like a question. It makes me think - yes, you're entitled to be here. Even if others wish you weren't, or want avoid you.  What did you do to make then not want you here?

Can I sit in silence, can I speak your name
Can I just be here
Can you find the pieces that I can rearrange
Can I just be here



I think about what pieces need to be arranged. Is someone criticising pieces of your life and wants you to rearrange your choices?  Do they think that they can live your life better than you do?  Why do you need to ask permission or think that you need their permission to live your life the way you want to anyway?  The first line in itself shows how much indecision you have.  But verses tend to do that.  They paint a picture or tell a story about struggles that you come across and make you wonder how the chorus pans out to see if there's any change to the situation. . .

I'm a lover, I'm a winner, I'm a fighter
Gonna set your soul on fire
I'm a lover, I'm a Renegade Fighter
Gonna set your soul on fire
I'm a lover, I'm a sinner, I'm a fighter
Gonna set your soul on fire
I'm a lover, I'm a Renegade Fighter
Gonna set your soul on fire

Live life passionately, set people's souls on fire, even when they don't appreciate what you do and how you do it; if they're astute enough, in time they will come to know you are exactly what they need, when they need you.  Just remember to be true to yourself :-)