Friday, 30 May 2014

Don't you forget about me. . .

The Breakfast Club (1985), starred Molly Ringwald (the princess) Judd Nelson (the criminal), Emilio Estevez (the athlete), Anthony Michael Hall (the brain) and Ally Sheedy (the basket case).  A story about five high school students who are forced to endure Saturday detention and write an essay about who they think they are.  The movie enjoyed box office success and next year will actually mark 30 years of the movie's release.  The hit song from the movie Don't you forget about me by Simple Minds also enjoyed chart topping success thanks to the release of the film, even though the band weren't the first choice to record the single.  The most popular cover of the song has been Anna Kendrick's rendition in the film Pitch Perfect.  Molly Ringwald also recorded a jazz version of the song as a tribute to John Hughes, the director of The Breakfast Club on her 2013 album.

Won't you come see about me
I'll be alone dancing you know it baby

Tell me your troubles and doubts 
Giving me everything inside and out and
Love's strange so real in the dark
Think of the tender things that we were working on

Slow change may pull us apart

When the light gets into your heart baby

I feel the characters of the movie are reflected in these song lyrics. The trappings of high school life, stuck in your little cliques and not knowing where you fit in, who you belong with and when you are in a social clique, the pressure to remain there and not be strong enough to venture outside of your supposed comfort zone, until you're forced to in a situation like Saturday detention.

Will you stand above me?
Look my way, never love me
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down

Will you recognise me?

Call my name or walk on by
Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
Down, down, down

And then it doesn't even need to be restricted to high school life, it could be your college/university days, your workplace, any other social settings or gatherings that you find yourself in, where you have to play a part, need to conform to the role that you need to play because society expects you to be in that role - life is much easier when you're typecast or stereotyped (methinks the racial micro aggressions rears its head again to some level).  I wonder if you will recognise those moments in your past that developed a defining moment in your character, but have kept buried away in a locked drawer or diary.

Going to take you apart
I'll pull us back together at heart, baby

Even though it seems like it's unrequited love or someone trying to get your attention, and they may come across weak, there is a sense of strength there for someone who is willing to lay their heart out there on the line and let you know how what's in their heart. The times that you may have had in your past, those one-off memories maybe with your own "Breakfast Club", I hope you remember them. They might have helped to define the you that you wanted to be, but don't recognise anymore, because you're busy being who others want you to be.

Don't you forget about me
Don't don't don't don't
Don't you forget about me. . . 

Song request by +Anthony Faitaua