Friday, 23 May 2014

Don't forget your roots my friend . . .

Don't forget your roots my friend 
Don't forget your family, yeah
Don't forget your roots my friend
The ones who made you
The ones who brought you here. . . 

Roots
is my favourite song from Six60 as it plays like a mantra in my mind about my roots, thinking about how important knowing who I am and where I come from, my ancestors, my parents, my family, my culture, language and identity (and now multiple identities - depending on the contexts I'm in and the roles I am expected to play or choose to play) all roll into one huge complex ball of confusion (only for those looking from the outside in).

The duet of the bass and the electric guitar soon gives rise to the drums that combine before the first verse kicks in.  The song details the story of two characters - Johnny and Jessie - and the choices they make about their life paths and end up either being shunned by their family or choosing to turn their backs on their histories and pasts.

So he lost what he knows and what all is right
For a broken world and a world of lies. . .

Johnny's experience highlights the desire to make something of your life, to have a sense of purpose and do something worthwhile, but that we must be wary, be careful.  Tread carefully in the sense that mixed with that sense of duty, what is worth fighting for may not be what you thought it was, not be what is worth fighting for as you innocently and naively walk into a battle where others lie in wait to destroy you.



So she lost what she knows and what all is right
For a brand new image and world of lies. . .

Jessie's experiences highlights the need to break free from a mould, to be different and unique, go against the grain, turning your back on all you know, compromising who you are because the 'change' seems to take precedence over who you really are.  I find it strange sometimes that when people run away, to use physical distance to remove themselves from their 'known places' to rediscover who they are, but in the end realise that what they were searching for all along was at home, made them realise and appreciate what they had, but they needed to miss it in order to know how important being at home, in your own home.  A brand new image isn't going to improve who you are - it may change how the world sees you, but until you are happy with your image - then new doesn't mean better.

But the days were numbered, relationships suffered . . .

Repair family relationships if you need to.  Make peace with yourself first if need be.
Whatever difficulties, challenges and adversities you face in your life, remember your roots.
If your roots are a painful place to go, a painful memory to revisit, I hope that whatever new roots you lay down, that you find peace, love and happiness.