Monday, 5 May 2014

Deciphering Me. . .

In honour of New Zealand Music Month, I've decided to spend all of May featuring my favourite Kiwi songs.  I've decided to write about it starting from today as it's the first day back for Term 2 for high schools and starting from today, there will be huge publicity promoting New Zealand music - so it's time to play my part and celebrate the music from the country of my birth.

As a music teacher, Brooke Fraser featured prominently in the junior music programme.  At the time she released her What to do with daylight album, all of my junior students were huge fans of her work.  The junior students would try to sing Arithmetic while the senior students would sing and play Scarlet.  

In the past few months, I have been catching up with good friends who I haven't seen in a long time, don't see often, but when I do see them, I feel a sense of comfort.  The song Deciphering Me springs to mind in these moments.  There is a definite sense of feeling 'at home' with someone, with people, especially when you go through difficult times, challenging times that test your resolve as a human being.  It's definitely in those times, that you need to surround yourself with people who will love you no matter what, and just sit with you in silence.  Even when you might be distracted by other things during your meeting, but your friend is wanting to make sure that you are ok.

Friend, it's getting late
We should be going
We've been sat here for hours beneath these flickering neons for hours
While I am cracking their code, you are deciphering me
For I am a mystery, I am a locked room in a tall tower

Sometimes when you sit with your friend, you might need their insight to help you get through your difficult and challenging times - even if you might not expect them to help you or not, whether you want to them to help you or not.  It's almost like your friend can see into you, see who you are, how you are, when you've started to lose sight of who you are, or you have forgotten the best parts of you that you might have let slip by along the way.

Your telescope eyes see everything clearly
My vision is blurred but I know what I heard echoing all around
While I am tuning you in, you are deciphering me
Not such a mystery, not such a faint and a far away sound

In those moments of loss, it's nice to know that there are friends who are able to call us back home, to call us back to remember the good parts of who we are if we lose our way.  It's those people that we trust and have to value being in our lives that help us through our difficult and challenging times.
What else is there that needs deciphering with friends like these?

Oh can you see the gravity falling, calling us home?
Oh, did you see the stars colliding, shining just to show we belong?
We belong