Thursday, 8 May 2014

'Cause I see the light surrounding you . . .

My first impression of this band of brothers from Feilding is that they are seriously talented.
They are now based in Melbourne but I was aware of them on the music scene as teens involved in Smokefree Rockquest, where they were the National Final winners in 2010.  This song Light surrounding you was also featured as a promotional jingle for TV One.  I thought it was a very clever way to show our country's unity as one with their lights all over Aotearoa.

The opening of the song with the piano introduction reminds me of times as a child playing old pianos.  It's that particular ringing tonal quality of the keys when you play them. This is nicely complemented later on with the guitar-driven interludes after the chorus, before the bridge.

But the feeling is returning 
Those time has made us change

These lines above speak to me about a renewal or a rekindling of things past.
It's almost like you probably didn't look properly the first time around and your vision is much clearer now. You maybe didn't realise the potential of someone and now you're thinking, 'Wow, he/she is someone special.'  I'm sure you have had times where you have revisited and revised your original impressions or come to a different conclusion. They say hindsight is 20/20 but I think it's more than that. You gain the clarity in having an informed perspective, when you can consider other perspective, and put yourself in other people's shoes.

'Cause I've been there before
And I've seen it all
And I believe in you


The realisation that you have connections that you hadn't seen before but now you have a resurgence of belief and trust in that person's ability (even when they seem to doubt it themselves).  Sometimes when we recognise the potential in others, we tend to think about how we can reflect on our own potential - and whether others can help to support and mentor us in letting others see our own light.

'Cause I see the light surrounding you
So don't be afraid of something new

I have often said that I don't have any regrets in my life.  Even those bad, sad and tragic moments/events in my life have helped to shape the person I am.  It is all about my ManuMission and thinking about how I can help others - and allowing myself to be helped in return.  I wouldn't presume to know the answers to life and the solutions to all of the world's problems - I never said I could offer that.  But what I can offer is an insight from my own perspective that I think other people are interested in knowing about, because I don't mind freely sharing that about myself.  If people approached me in person - they would be getting the same messages that I post online :-)

So the moral of the story: Be a light bringer - not a light dimmer.  If I can help to touch other people in so many ways to embrace their own light that surrounds them - that would definitely set me on the rigth path to completing my life's work, my ManuMission.

So don't be afraid of what you're turning into and I won't be afraid of letting other people see my own light that surrounds me too.