Friday, 4 April 2014

What a wonderful world. . .

I'm at my local mall today.  It's a great place to do some "people watching".
People are fascinating to watch.  The best place to observe is in the food court because everyone is too busy looking at their food and enjoying what they're eating to notice you watching them.  Families are everywhere as it's a Saturday in New Zealand and I imagine this is one of the few times that working Mums and Dads will have an opportunity to spend time as a family.  School children are here today. I've spotted several groups of boys or girls wandering around, checking out the movie session times or just being kids checking out the latest fads in the stores.

This song is best known for the Louis Armstrong rendition.
Many other cover versions exist - Eva Cassidy performed it just before she passed away, Guy Sebastian performed it for World Idol in 2003 (funky rendition and the instrumental backing reminds me of the music in Janet Jackson's Runaway), a Shadow Puppet interpretation of the song, and probably the most recognisable is Israel Kamakiwo'ole and his ukulele mix of Somewhere over the rainbow and What a wonderful world - featured on many movie soundtracks over the years.

My most recent posts have been about what has frustrated me about people or I guess their reaction to transformations in my life thus far. I think as long as you are being true to yourself, that's the main thing.  To some level, everyone wants to be respected, if not liked.  For me that happens when there is mutual respect.  Every time I hear this song, it restores my faith in people, even those who don't particularly like me (haha).  The lyrics describe the beauty of the environment that make up the wonderful world.  The lines that resonate particularly with me and the reason why I love the song are:

I hear babies grow, I watch them grow
You know they're gonna learn
A whole lot more than you'll ever know

I watched many young children today with their parents and grandparents and I wondered about the endless possibilities and opportunities that lie before them.  I thought about how much their parents and grandparents will enjoy watching them grow.  It brings me comfort to know that there will be a whole lot more that this generation will know, than I will ever know.  And I truly hope that educators everywhere will continue to do their part to make that a reality - if not in our own lifetime - but that will be the hopes, dreams and legacy that we will leave behind - our seeds of knowledge brought to fruition by the seeds that we watched grow.